Easter Egger club!

I don't think there is a feather color correlation to egg color. I have birds of all colors that lay green or blue eggs, and same with the brown eggs. I do think the hens with muffs and beards lay nicer eggs that those without, but maybe it is cuteness factor influencing my judgement.

I am choosing a POL easter egger from a breeder tomorrow, just wondered if people had better experience with some colours more than others, or if the birds colouring effects what egg colour, as they are x breeds. She has some blue, black, cuckoo, crele, buff and mixed colour ones.

[IMG
ALT=""]https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/7158240/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

thumbsup.gif
the coloring does not matter but ear lobe color can. It is not a guarantee and there are exceptions but.....If I lift the feathers on the ear of my blue egg layer they are an oddly irridecent blue color, like the veins of a very pale person showing through and the ears of my green egg layer are much less bright but still very bluish in color, the ears of my beige laying birds (not ee's) are all plain.
(editied to remove any absolutes)

Last edited:
My other EE just laid its first hole egg shell and all this time!!!:weee so that's great but it's the tanish brown I was hoping it would lay a colored one both my EE girls lay the tanish brown colored ones oh well eggs are eggs… dose any one know if the EE eggs are bigger than wyndot eggs?

Quote: That stinks! I have 4 EE (they were suppose to be ameraucana, but I was duped). Only 1 is laying so far and it's more of a green with a blue hint. I have 1 EE that has slate black legs (her coloring isn't right for ameraucana recognition though) and I'm hoping she's going to be the true blue egg layer. The other 2, will have to wait and see too, but I think theirs are probably going to be more of a green too if they follow sis (all 3 of them have green legs).

Hi - you know, after following other chickeneers coop constructions and going through a couple coops of our own, I have yet to find a completely perfect coop or anyone that doesn't want to modify a shed or pre-fab so welcome to all of our worlds LOL! You are making fast progress! It took us 6 months to get our Barn Coop assembled and now that the backyard is torn up for adding a block wall fence our Barn Coop is still not at rest in it's final location and still needs it's run to be attached to it. Now, if only the intermittent rains would stop impeding our progress we'll have a block wall soon!
It's just the instructions are had to follow, they use more pic's than anything else and the drawings aren't the best.... I have figured out to just sit and wait to let DH figure it out on his own, it's just easier that way.... lol
Our rain starts Wednesday not looking forward to it at all. I like your barn coop, was meaning to ask the Blue nest boxes... what are they?

I am choosing a POL easter egger from a breeder tomorrow, just wondered if people had better experience with some colours more than others, or if the birds colouring effects what egg colour, as they are x breeds. She has some blue, black, cuckoo, crele, buff and mixed colour ones.

[IMG
ALT=""]https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/7158240/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

thumbsup.gif
This is just me so take it with a grain of salt, but I have found that red hens are mean.... don't care what breed they were they were just plain MEAN. So I don't have but 1 red colored hen and she is the exception to the rule. Don't know what red has to do with it just know that I have had to REHOME every red hen. So I just stay away from them!!!!
Good luck hope you pick a good one or 2 or 3 or 4.... lol Chicken Math ya know.

My freeloader Chica and my dog Gus either really love each other or really hate each other I can't tell yet lol. Chica follows Gus around and Gus wants to play.
I have a black lab that gets that same look on his face..... I don't leave mine lone with the chickens cause he tries to play with them... not a good combo for playing...

21 weeks old and still no eggs from my hens.
Even with added light and heat.
I want eggs!
Waiting Sucks!!!! But it's worth it and it will happen once you stop waiting... lol

Last edited:
This is just me so take it with a grain of salt, but I have found that red hens are mean.... don't care what breed they were they were just plain MEAN. So I don't have but 1 red colored hen and she is the exception to the rule. Don't know what red has to do with it just know that I have had to REHOME every red hen. So I just stay away from them!!!!
Thanks for the feedback, very interesting. I did like the look of the red/ crele one, so that will make me think again! Originally it was gonna be just one, but chicken maths is overpowering my mind and better judgement! :cd

It's just the instructions are had to follow, they use more pic's than anything else and the drawings aren't the best.... I have figured out to just sit and wait to let DH figure it out on his own, it's just easier that way.... lol 
 Our rain starts Wednesday not looking forward to it at all.  I like your barn coop, was meaning to ask the Blue nest boxes... what are they?

This is just me so take it with a grain of salt, but I have found that red hens are mean.... don't care what breed they were they were just plain MEAN. So I don't have but 1 red colored hen and she is the exception to the rule.  Don't know what red has to do with  it just know that I have had to REHOME every red hen.  So I just stay away from them!!!! 

I have a black lab that gets that same look on his face..... I don't leave mine lone with the chickens cause he tries to play with them... not a good combo for playing... 

Waiting Sucks!!!! But it's worth it and it will happen once you stop waiting... lol 
I'm not totally dumb... I don't leave them alone

We were lucky with our ChickenCondos Barn Coop - the Cove Products manufacturer in Utah has about 20+ youtube videos on their products and have an employee showing how to assemble their coops step-by-step. I showed the video to our contractor so he could see the assembly piece-by-piece. Even the wheel package assembly was posted on youtube and it was a good thing it was because the contractor saw that one of the wheels had come apart in shipment and he was able to fix it because of the video instructions. Videos are better than Chinese illustrations that are usually useless from all the furniture we had to assemble ourselves from Made in China drawings.

I like your barn coop, was meaning to ask the Blue nest boxes... what are they?
The blue nestboxes are part of the Barn Coop and 4 are designed to fit in the long lidded nestbox. I ordered a couple extra boxes to put on the coop floor tray in case I got up to 6 hens. Some nights when it is really cold ALL 4 of our hens will roost in a nestbox - good thing I have a box for each. The boxes are kinda small at 12x12 compared to the old little coop that had 3 roomy 16x16 nestboxes. But the girls manage in the smaller boxes and each get their own box now. The Silkies have always been nestbox sleepers and the 2 LF will start roosting on the perches and eventually gravitate to a nestbox a couple hours later. I let them sleep wherever they want. I figure I don't want anyone telling me where to sleep so I don't force them to stay on the perches. They use the perches throughout the day but for some reason like the coziness of a nestbox for the long night. We have always used a patio light through the night so having light coming in through the 2 Barn Coop windows is familiar to them. Currently the windows are up against the housewall on the sidewalk during construction. I wonder if they will start positioning for a window seat once they get a "view" from the windows LOL!

Yep, the red ones ARE more aggressive - within their own breed the reds do well on equal ground but they always stay on top in mixed flocks with that attitude of theirs. I wonder if that goes for red Silkies too? Don't know, don't care. I only like the darker colors for free-ranging anyway. Had a White Leg and by next molt she would be so dirty, dingy, stained, and yellow, that I don't get white chickens any more. I have a Blue Wheaten Ameraucana and she gets dirtier than I like to see.

Thanks for the feedback, very interesting. I did like the look of the red/ crele one, so that will make me think again! Originally it was gonna be just one, but chicken maths is overpowering my mind and better judgement!
D.gif
Well, if chicken math is bothering you, we'll make it easier for you and suggest re-homing the red chickens.

Back
Top Bottom