Easter Egger club!

The EE girl in my user icon, Grumpy Gilligan, is picked on by my Barred Rock (Amelia) who picks out her muff and beard. Gilligan stretches her neck out for Amelia to do it though! Not sure what's going on there.

I'm slowly introducing my new marans and Gilligan flares her hackle feathers (which she has a mane of), fans her tail, beats her wings and transforms into a skinny legged rooster! Except she's missing her big beard so she looks like a freaky deaky dinosaur instead.

I'm usually laughing too much to get a picture. She went as far as to mount the little phoenix cockerel, too!

Yet she's the bottom of the pecking order of her original flock.

Crazy!
If you have any - ahem - 'leather goods' you might think about keeping them locked up.
hide.gif

Yeah, either way our best is speculation on sex until I see a big red comb or hear a crow.
wink.png
Or an egg.

Speaking of which, the mystery has been solved....I definitely have four laying hens now!

That just leaves Robin. I sure hope she comes up with something blue!
fl.gif

Last edited:
I could be wrong but I don't think they are that mean I just think you have the wrong flock dynamics. You have an amazing setup for a few pet chickens. I just think some breeds need more room. I don't think that means they are mean per say. I've heard of chickens being canibals in a coop that's to small. I think that was more the problem. Plenty of room yard wise but at night probably needing more space. I think silkies or faverolles are known for being at the bottom of the pecking order because they are at a disadvantage. If they weren't they would act the same as the other chickens. I don't think you can pen every chicken as being I'll tempered though. Mine is fine in a mixed flock even with bantams. My friend has about 10 in a mixed flock and also no problems. That's what leads me it was more environment.
smile.png
Everyone's flock dynamics are different - space, breeds mixed in one flock, size of flock, free-ranged or not, etc etc. I only listed my experience in a small backyard environment where we are not zoned for roos so that in itself changes a lot of the environment since good roos will keep flock peace. I was raised with Leghorns as a kid and by themselves are wonderful egg-laying machines and my last White Leghorn was a gentle backyard alpha leader kind to flockmates but by age 3 she did become too assertive for the smaller gentler breeds in the flock and the Buff Leghorn was just crazy having fun dominating the timid breeds until she was re-homed in a big layer flock and put in her place. Depends on a lot of things but Leghorns will absolutely take advantage of the flock if the flock is not equally assertive. I almost think Legs have a sense of well-being when involved with equally dominating birds and if the timid ones don't retaliate Legs figure to eliminate the weak members of the flock. I adored my sweet personable White Leg but in full adulthood she was just a bit too assertive for the gentler breeds I wanted to keep.

Truth!! My EE Lady and Sicilian Buttercup are the most assertive in my mixed flock while my dual purpose girls are the calmest. And 1 of my TBW(which is a blue egg layer with leghorn added for egg production) follows me everywhere while the other two are the most skittish girls in the flock. So much fun how they all have their own individual personalities. My two other Easter eggers are both calm and tentative but not on the bottom of the pecking order. The two TBW other than the one that follows me are at the bottom along with the bantams.
I have to agree with Jennifer I have 34 chickens 16 different breeds. 4 are bantam roosters the rest are hens but 1/3 are bantam and so far I've gotten lucky but you can see who needs more space and once they're established with enough space it should work. However there are some chickens that just won't work I had some Faverolles from Jennifer actually and had to give them up to a friend because they weren't fitting in with my flock

Last edited:
That just leaves Robin. I sure hope she comes up with something blue!
fl.gif

Come on Robin, you can do it!!!

My olive egger named Wormy lays an egg just about every day already. Sassy and Lady Gray lay blue eggs, but Lady Gray hasn't laid more than one egg all week! I'm starting to wonder about her. I found a tiny little blue egg and a tiny little olive egg one the same day last week (on the same day the other three decided to lay all at once) and I still don't know who's they were.

That really light one is pretty cool. I hope one of my easter eggers lay that color.

Back
Top Bottom