Easter Egger club!

I also have Silkies, they don't seem to mind the heat at all. They are great layers or have been this year, Last year not so much. I'm thinking 1st year ( after they start laying ) is on and off, but this is the 2nd year of laying and they have done great, I have 4 pens, 2 have moms in them right now ( 2nd and 3rd timers this year ) They are great moms.
I give my LF egg layers light in the mornings. Set the timer for 5am goes off at 8 am. Will adjust if need be, but I make sure they have 14 hours ( is best for my girls ) To keep them laying, I sell eggs to pay for feed, so need them in winter more than summer really, higher intake of food due to lack of bugs greens ect...
I will start giving my EE and AM's light in Dec. I let them take a break if they need to. It seems to help with my hatch rate if they get a little break too.
They seem to have started their break a little bit early this year... lol I was going to start supplementing light now till Oct. but I have a batch of eggs in the bator now so I decided to let them have their break now.
So maybe if you give them light you can get them to start laying again. It normally takes about a week with the extra light and they kick it in gear.

How fun that you can raise chicks - we don't have enough room. Silkies are certainly little troopers. I got them as pets, my DH fell in love w/them, and we were surprised at the size of their eggs for a bantam breed. Now my DH always wants Silkies in our backyard. They are a broody bunch but I'm so used to it we just let them brood their empty nest to give their bodies a rest from being such good egg layers. Even at 3 yrs old our Silkie will lay 3 to 4 eggs a week. The 4-yr-old Silkie only lays a couple dozen every Spring and then stops until the following Spring - after re-homing all the bully single-comb dual purpose breeds she has become the alpha hen - she earned the right after taking abuse from all the previous large fowl bully breeds - yet she remains a sweet easy-going girl. She doesn't terrorize the flock the way large fowl alphas do yet her flockmates will subtly be submissive toward her. It tickles me to see a little squirt be the alpha hen.

We have a patio light we leave on for both security and to deter night critters so our girls always have light. But no matter, artificial light or no, their bodies know when it's time to go to roost and the artificial light makes no difference to them. In fact we have less daylight hours now that it's Fall but my little Silkie started laying anyway. Can't re-program those littles - they do things on their own schedule!
big_smile.png

My Araucanas came form a very back yard breeder so I wouldn't recommend her as a place to get quality birds. I actually weighed my birds the other day. My sisters seem to be the same size when you look at them. They range from 3.5 - 4 pounds. However, there is one that is built like a block of concrete and she weighs 5.6 pounds. She is the worst layer though, go figure. I read somewhere that fat birds don't lay well, so maybe she's just a little on the chubby side.

None of mine are tufted. I don't care for the tufted birds. I know there are some breeders in California that would probably sell you some of their culls.

TY! I know a couple CA breeders but their birds are so-o-o expensive. Maybe their culls won't be as much. Having tails and no tufts is not a concern to me either. I also have an out-of-state contact too and have done business w/them for other breeds. I have time yet to research but thanks for bugging my ear to renew interest in the Araucana. My friend and I are really kinda disappointed in the Amer's ad EE's after our experience with their sporadic production - sweet birds though.

Has anyones EE roos just suddenly stopped crowing? I returned home yesterday and my guys were soundless. Hubby said they did nothing to them to make them not crow.(Hubby was farm raised, so crowing is not an issue.)I haven't seen any marks on either male but what the heck? I haven't heard em for a week and to get home and they are not crowing is not right.

Never heard of a rooster stop crowing except when a more dominant rooster is around or if they're caponized, and I'm sure you'd notice if either of those happened. ;) If you figure it out, be sure to bottle it up and sell it to rooster owners who want quiet ones! ;D

Has anyones EE roos just suddenly stopped crowing? I returned home yesterday and my guys were soundless. Hubby said they did nothing to them to make them not crow.(Hubby was farm raised, so crowing is not an issue.)I haven't seen any marks on either male but what the heck? I haven't heard em for a week and to get home and they are not crowing is not right.

I wish my rooster would've stopped crowing!

I have been gone for two weeks so I think I was getting the silent treatment from my roo. Fester n Lurch were back at it at 5:30 a.m. today. I was tickled to hear it after being gone.

I only have 1 Easter Egger. I asked for 4 but got Cherry Eggers instead. I had never heard of Cherry Eggers before mine. There was a mistake on my bill and when I went back, I questioned the "Cherry" and said I had asked for "Easter" and the feed store guy said he only had one, so I bought her too. Her name is Esther. She lays beautiful greenish blue eggs. The Cherry Eggers are really good layers with fabulous brown eggs so I am happy with the mistake. They are very sweet and not as jumpy as Esther.

I only have 1 Easter Egger. I asked for 4 but got Cherry Eggers instead. I had never heard of Cherry Eggers before mine. There was a mistake on my bill and when I went back, I questioned the "Cherry" and said I had asked for "Easter" and the feed store guy said he only had one, so I bought her too. Her name is Esther. She lays beautiful greenish blue eggs. The Cherry Eggers are really good layers with fabulous brown eggs so I am happy with the mistake. They are very sweet and not as jumpy as Esther.

Pretty gals!

Back
Top Bottom