Easter Egger club!

Hello!i haven't been on here for ages!how is everybird and one?i have 3 13 weeks old Easter egger babies!i also have one adult hen.

Indigo^^^

Acorn^^^

Cinder^^^
The babies^^^* 13 weeks old.

One year old.brownie.

If you want to see all my hens, go to:my flock, my life, and everything in between.

you just gave me an idea......I wonder they will look like!

Yup now I know what my next project is going to be lol

They lay great . Sometimes sold as SBEL super blue egg layers . Super layers of blue eggs .

The ones they sell at mypetchicken? Everytime I go to purchase a few they are sold out. I wonder if it would be better to cross an easter egger or if it would be better with a pure ameraucana to leghorn to male an easter egger. Either way I love my leghorn and easter eggers. It only makes sense to cross the 2 lol.

It's so funny so far with my flock this has not at all been the case but my girls are still young. Only one is laying. I just noticed yesterday that my Sicilian Buttercup and my one hen who is a True Blue Whiting (leghorn blue layer cross of some sort) have taken place 2 and 3 above my Marans that was 1 last week and my EE that was 2 last week is now the dominate girl. The top two positions are taken by an Easter Egger and a chicken that is the smallest beside my bantams.
Some breeds do seem to get along better than others. I've been reading the Bielefelder thread and those big dual purpose birds seem to have a good disposition. The Bielies are just a bit too heavy and big to keep in my tiny backyard. Some owners swear their Brahmas are gentle giants but again not for my tiny backyard. My reason to have chickens is to have pets first, eggs second. I cycled through 14 chickens in 5 years to get down to the gentle 4 hens I have now. The jittery jumpy nature of EEs or Amers never seems to go away -- they are ever-watchful and overly-cautious -- they do get tamer around humans but sudden movements or sounds will still upset them. Being skittish is just their nature. I discovered when I had the heavier dual purpose or assertive layer breeds my Amer would not come up for treats with the group. After I re-homed the assertive heavier breeds into a friend's laying flock, my Amer started to approach for treats with the other gentle chickens. Even gentle breeds have to establish pecking order for smooth flock politics but in my case when the bigger heavier breeds matured by 2 or 3 yrs old their temptation was to harshly bully the smaller breeds -- I didn't want 7-lb chickens bullying smaller gentler 2-lb or 4-lb birds so I eventually had to re-home all the production and dual-purpose breeds. I don't mind the smaller or medium eggs in order to have a peaceful backyard. Before we re-homed the bigger breeds our Blue Wheaten Amer would never come this close at treats time! Here she is hearing her name to get her treat. The birds know to wait til they hear their name to reach for their treat. (it takes time & patience). This Buff Leghorn turned out overly aggressive toward our Silkies and Ameraucana chasing and pulling out crests and beards so she was re-homed at one-year-old. This White Leghorn was a gentle flock leader for 3 years but then she turned too assertive toward her flockmates. I choose to re-home aggressive birds before any injuries happen. My yard isn't big enough to divide big birds from my smaller gentler breeds. This Cuckoo Marans was my only experience with Marans. My friend had several Cuckoos and BCMs and we re-homed all of them -- big bullies and a bit more stand-offish compared to other large breeds. These are good hens to keep in heavier breed flocks but not with bantams IMO. This is what the 7-lb Cuckoo Marans did to our 2.5-lb Silkie on the roost at night before we realized she was NOT moulting - poor thing! I was new at backyard chickens 5 yrs ago and this incident made me aware of watching out for injurious bullies.

Poor Nero, my nearly buttless beauty! He's down to two main sickle feathers. Luckily it looks like he's in for a long molt rather than a fast and furious one. Anyone have any terrible EE molters?

The EE girl in my user icon, Grumpy Gilligan, is picked on by my Barred Rock (Amelia) who picks out her muff and beard. Gilligan stretches her neck out for Amelia to do it though! Not sure what's going on there.

I'm slowly introducing my new marans and Gilligan flares her hackle feathers (which she has a mane of), fans her tail, beats her wings and transforms into a skinny legged rooster! Except she's missing her big beard so she looks like a freaky deaky dinosaur instead.

I'm usually laughing too much to get a picture. She went as far as to mount the little phoenix cockerel, too!

Yet she's the bottom of the pecking order of her original flock.

Crazy!

Back
Top Bottom