Easter Egger club!

Same here.. our weather has been fluctuating between SUPER cold and unseasonably warm. It's nice b/c the warmer weather does get rid of the snow that flies when it's cold and gives them a break so I can let them outside, but it's the single digit lows overnight that I could do without. I have a leghorn that doesn't fit well with my NE Ohio weather & I'm concerned w/ his waddle and comb. My eggers have neat little pea combs that are perfect for Ohio weather.
We just got a bunch of snow last night.... Yay -_- They were just starting to pick up the slack on eggs too!
I've never had to worry too much about frostbite, although I might this year since we've got Rooster now... I'm hoping I don't have to break out the vaseline though.

I’ve noticed lately that my Easter Egger has been a little more of the head hen. Maybe she’s always been queen, but I’m just noticing it?
She’s molting right now as well. I just got all of them at the end of Oct. When I first got them, I thought she might be the leader, but then she kind of backed off. Could she have been starting to molt so her true personality was a bit reserved?
Last night at roosting time, she wasn’t in her normal spot, but she was pecking any of the others that even looked at her sideways. Pecking hard too. I was out when they first went to roost, so maybe this is normal as usually I’m out after they have settled in. Then, just a bit ago, I watched her as they all went to get a little treat. She pecked at the others who were in her way. I haven’t observed this behavior from her before.
She is over 2 and the 3 others (all Isa Browns) are just over 1.

I’ve noticed lately that my Easter Egger has been a little more of the head hen. Maybe she’s always been queen, but I’m just noticing it?
She’s molting right now as well. I just got all of them at the end of Oct. When I first got them, I thought she might be the leader, but then she kind of backed off. Could she have been starting to molt so her true personality was a bit reserved?
Last night at roosting time, she wasn’t in her normal spot, but she was pecking any of the others that even looked at her sideways. Pecking hard too. I was out when they first went to roost, so maybe this is normal as usually I’m out after they have settled in. Then, just a bit ago, I watched her as they all went to get a little treat. She pecked at the others who were in her way. I haven’t observed this behavior from her before.
She is over 2 and the 3 others (all Isa Browns) are just over 1.
Very normal behavior for molting hens. All those pin feathers can be quite tender. She doesn't anybody too close because it's uncomfortable. It can make even the most mild-mannered hen grouchy.

Would you get a light blue egg layer if you cross a cream legbar cockerel (light blue egg gene) with an easter egger (lays white eggs)?
If we assume that your cockerel is pure for blue shell and your egger has white, you should get all blue in the first generation (blue is dominant so one copy is all it takes to show). However, those offspring would have just a single blue gene so F2 would be more like 50/50 white/blue.

If we assume that your cockerel is pure for blue shell and your egger has white, you should get all blue in the first generation (blue is dominant so one copy is all it takes to show). However, those offspring would have just a single blue gene so F2 would be more like 50/50 white/blue.
Than you! :)

My application to the EE club will have to be ....pending. I'm really hoping my baby girl Peach will lay some blue eggs. She's 20 weeks but will probably wait until spring to let me know if I can join. Her daddy is Americana and her momma must have been pretty! Lol she has the beard and pea comb so I'm hoping!!!
20171222_085240.jpg

My EE seems to have stopped laying for Winter. She's the only one that has stopped laying. Anyone elses? Is this normal?
They do seem to be more sensitive to the shortening days than some other breeds. My pullets always end up molting if they are over 8 months old when fall comes. They also tend to need a higher protein diet than what most layer feeds offer, so if you've switched to layer feed, that may also be a factor.

Back
Top Bottom