Easter egger combs

I copied this from an article at the Ameraucana Breeders Club Website. I "bolded" certain sections. The link to read the whole article is

Ameraucana Breeders Club Breed History

No history of the “Ameraucana” could be complete without understanding some of the history of the “Araucana” breed. But one should first understand that the “Araucana” as we know it, was never a “pure” breed, even in Chile. To generalize the situation as briefly as possible; going back Prior to the arrival of the Spaniards, the Mapuche Indians in Chile had TWO breeds of chickens raised in different areas of the country: One they called the “Collonca”, which was small, laid BLUE eggs, rumples, and had a small single comb; the other they called the “Quetro” or “Quetero”, derived from their word “kerto” meaning stammering, referring to its peculiar crow. The “Quetro” was TUFTED, had a flowing tail, pea comb, and laid brown eggs --- “Tufted rumples” occurred when a rumples bird crossed with a tufted tailed bird, but these offspring were rare. The latter were later called “Collonca de Arêtes” by the Spanish, meaning “Collonca with EARRINGS”. These “Collonca de Arêtes” were blue egg layers, since the blue egg gene is dominant. In 1556, the Mapuche Indians were attacked again by the Spanish, and an epic poem named “La Araucana”, was written by Alonso de Ercilla about their bravery. This name later stuck with the Indians, and subsequently with their chickens. The name derives from the Gulf of Arauco, near Conception, Chile. Dr. Rueben Bustos, a chicken expert in Chile, had himself developed a strain of the so-called “Collonca de Arêtes”, and wrote about the Araucanas in his country, in 1914. But these breeds remained quite unknown to the world until Professor Salvador Castello, a Spanish poultry expert, who had observed and photographed some “Collonca de Arêtes” at an exhibition in Santiago in 1914, later reported on these birds in 1921 in a paper to the First World’s Poultry Congress in the Hague (Holland), causing a flurry of excitement throughout the poultry world. Prof. Castello did not realize at that time that the “breed” that he had seen and described was NOT native fowl, as he had been told by Dr. Bustos, but rather were the product of Dr. Bustos’ many years of selective breeding. Professor Castello later corrected himself in 1924 – but by then the wave of interest in these birds had already begun, and many erroneous ideas had already developed, based upon the original 1921 paper, which was erroneous. [Many of these erroneous ideas are still in circulation today.]

This article dispels many myths about the Easter Egger. The original Easter Eggers were not derived from Ameraucana or Araucana. Ameraucana and Araucana were derived from the original Easter Eggers. There is all kinds of misinformation out there about the blue or green egg layers.

Yes and no. It gets complicated. The original blue egg layers had single combs so there was no link between comb type and egg shell color. Doctor Bustos developed a line of chickens that had the blue egg shell and the pea comb from two native "breeds" of chickens. That was what was introduced to the world as the blue egg laying chicken.

The blue egg shell gene and the pea comb gene are on the same chromosome and pretty close together when they are present so they tend to be passed down together. Dr. Tad Adkerson that started the thread about how genetic sex links work said in one of his papers that when they are both on the same chromosome there is a 97% chance that they will be passed down together. This is just one of the two chromosomes. If the other chromosome has either or both these genes they odds get all complicated.

This is Dr Adkerson's sex link thread.

Sex- linked Information | BackYard Chickens - Learn How to Raise Chickens

@coatsra I'll add one more thing to complicate it even more. The Araucana and Ameraucana are pretty new breeds. Some of the hatcheries we buy from had their colored egg layer flocks before the Ameraucana or Araucana breeds were developed. That was before they were supposed to have pea combs. I don't know when Hoover started their blue and green egg laying flock. I don't know if their flock was established that long ago or what they have done to it. Their ad says their Ameraucana are a mix of Ameraucana and Araucana but since they can lay brown eggs, that is not correct. Or maybe you got their assorted colored egg layers. Some of the photos in that section shows single combed birds.

So is a link between combs and colored eggs a thing? In certain circumstances there can be, but in general no.
Thank you for the awesome information! I really appreciate all that and including me in the history of it all. So, with all the hybrid / cross breeding can that cause more issues for chickens? Health wise? I had three prairie bluebell eggers before.. unsure of the breeds, and two didn’t make it past 2 years with prolapse issues. I tried and tried, but unfortunately couldn’t help them.

So, with all the hybrid / cross breeding can that cause more issues for chickens? Health wise? I had three prairie bluebell eggers before.. unsure of the breeds, and two didn’t make it past 2 years with prolapse issues. I tried and tried, but unfortunately couldn’t help them.
The problem comes when they select strongly for egg production, and do not also select for good health past a certain age. At that point, it doesn't really matter whether they are raising hybrids or pure breeds, the chickens are still prone to problems.

The mixing and crossing in the history of Araucanas and Ameraucanas does not cause any health problems except the ones that go with certain genes. If you select for chickens with ear tufts or with no tails, you get the problems that come with those genes. If you select for chickens without those traits (like Ameraucanas), you avoid those particular problems.

with all the hybrid / cross breeding can that cause more issues for chickens? Health wise?
Cross breeding and such increases genetic diversity which is often very good for health. You may have heard of hybrid vigor. The problem can come in when certain genes are introduced that can cause problems. Or you inbreed to a point that you lose genetic diversity. You can typically go several generations of inbreeding within a flock before you have issues unless you have a bad gene like NatJ mentioned.

The way you get better genetic diversity is to bring in fresh stock to mix with your flock, often you bring in a new rooster. It doesn't matter if that new stock is the same breed or not, even introducing the same breed gives genetic diversity a great boost as long as the flocks they come from have been genetically isolated for several generations.

Back
Top Bottom