Easter Egger egg laying frequency

Redleg50

Hatching
Dec 14, 2019
Near Memphis Tn
Thanks for the recent add and Merry Christmas to all. I bought four 6-week old birds, one being an EE, back in April. They started laying in the early summer. My EE was the last to start laying and laid about 3 eggs per week. Since about early October, she hasn’t laid any eggs at all. Unfortunately, around that time, my hunting dogs got two of the four birds. The two that survived uninjured are my Austra White and the EE. The weather hasn’t been super cold yet, only a few evenings barely below freezing so far. They typically free range about 6 hours out of the day. I feed Dumor 16% crumble and supplement with crushed oyster shell, mealworms, and scratch feed. The Austra White lays every day but nothing from the EE. Is this normal for the EE or do I have a bum bird?

EE's can be sporadic layers, might depend on what cross they were made from.
Not all pullets will lay thru their first winter, it's about day length rather than temperature.
Stress can stop laying too.
Austra White's are high production hybrids...EE's, not so much.

Here's some tips on how to tell...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/
If her comb is red and her pelvic spacing is wider, then you might consider:
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Oh, and.....Welcome to BYC! @Redleg50
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-12-14_9-39-14.png

It's length of day that affects laying, not the cold weather. EEs are not great winter layers, and three or four eggs a week is all I can ever expect from my EEs. None of my blue egg layers are currently laying.

@aart reflects my sentiment. Knowing your geographic location can tell us a lot about your chickens' behavior. I wish folks here understood that concept. It's sort of like going to a doctor for help and keeping some of the most significant background info secret.

Day length has been getting less and less. It will start to increase after Dec 22. Once the pineal gland senses consistently increasing light it will start the hormonal cascade needed to lay eggs. But, once that cascade begins, it still takes several weeks to get an egg. Once they start to lay again in the late winter/early spring, they will continue to lay until their fall molt.

Back
Top Bottom