Easter egger gender ?

AWolChic

In the Brooder
May 23, 2018
Tulsa Oklahoma
This is my 4 month old easter egger I am wondering gender. It is not “short&fat” like my other 4 chicks have developed

Attachments

• 332A1B1D-BFEF-40B5-A47E-9A230939A4D6.png
    332A1B1D-BFEF-40B5-A47E-9A230939A4D6.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 32
B9C6DEDC-7758-493A-A279-58C0E1C082F6.jpeg
I have 2 EE that are “not short & fat” as you put it ;) and two that are. I think their varied genetic and breed backgrounds probably accounts for a lot of variety.

One is my small girl, Unlucky. She is petite and lean. She is definitely the most “velociraptor” like. She also lay wee little blue eggs that have yet to get bigger. She is bigger than bantam sized but definitely not as big as the rest of our girls.

Often another good way to tell male EE is male specific shoulder coloring that comes in deep red particularly in birds with golden base coloring.

Below is a photo I got off Google. It is not my image but clearly shows the very deep red in the shoulder area as well as other pointers.

Another good way to tell with EE is if the coloration is very even across the body such as in your girl.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mal...B&biw=360&bih=512#imgrc=6kyu7BtnD31RuM:&isa=y

View attachment 1491446 I have 2 EE that are “not short & fat” as you put it ;) and two that are. I think their varied genetic and breed backgrounds probably accounts for a lot of variety.

One is my small girl, Unlucky. She is petite and lean. She is definitely the most “velociraptor” like. She also lay wee little blue eggs that have yet to get bigger. She is bigger than bantam sized but definitely not as big as the rest of our girls.

That's very interesting about your girl and that she lays blue. From what I've read EE that look like that may be more likely to lay blue eggs. We've had several ourselves that looked much the same without the blue and buff and layed blue. Of course there's no way to know what they'll lay until they do without knowing what their parents carried. Just an observation of mine. I've also seen other people on BYC that had similar experiences.

Back
Top Bottom