Easter Egger - Hen or Roo?

Conan

Badass, spatial, red siren, blonde tarded mermaid
8 Years
May 25, 2015
Western Washington
About five weeks ago, I picked up four pullet chicks from Wilco - two Easter Eggers and two Speckled Sussex. I know that they are about 90% on the sexing accuracy scale so I'm wondering if I have myself a roo. Over the past two weeks, one of the EEs has gotten HUGE. She/He was exactly the same size as the other EE when I got them. I am assuming that they were about a week old when I picked them up as their little wings were just starting to feather out. I know that EEs can vary wildly so perhaps she is just an enormous hen, but thought I would throw some pics out there to see what you all think! There are photos of the day I brought them home as well as some from this evening.
The photo with both EEs (with my hand in the way) has the bird in question on the right. The little one on the left is actually standing on a roost and is barely taller!
Thoughts?

Attachments

• 20180208_185414 (1).jpg
    20180208_185414 (1).jpg
    442.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 20180208_185608 (1).jpg
    20180208_185608 (1).jpg
    383.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 20180310_201344.jpg
    20180310_201344.jpg
    408.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 20180310_201452.jpg
    20180310_201452.jpg
    440 KB · Views: 28
  • 20180310_201243.jpg
    20180310_201243.jpg
    700.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 20180310_201300.jpg
    20180310_201300.jpg
    601.1 KB · Views: 28
I'm seeing pullets. Picture 4, you said the bird in question is the one on the right, by the looks of it they are both pullets.

I'm seeing pullets. Picture 4, you said the bird in question is the one on the right, by the looks of it they are both pullets.
Thank you for your input - I hope you're right! She's just so freaking big. I have never raised EEs before (had a few adult birds, but never from chicks) and it sounds as though there is a wild amount of variety. Lucille 2 is not only big, but kinda crazy. Super bold and sassy.

The coloring is even with no red splotches on the wings. I’m also on the pullet train. But keep an eye out if the colors ever go uneven and red leaks through the wings. It’s usually a tell tale sign. Cute babies you got there!

Thanks, all! Very appreciated. She has feathered out exactly as the other EE and so far no rust colors. When my bantam hatched out a clutch this last December (sneaky devil hid a nest under the deck) I did notice that the two roosters feathered out much differently than the five pullets. From what I understand, sounds like that may also vary by breed so not to be counted on but was very noticeable with my cochins.
Have one bantam rooster left to find a home for and was hoping not to have to rehome a second one! I feel better with multiple opinions.
Thanks again!

Thanks, all! Very appreciated. She has feathered out exactly as the other EE and so far no rust colors. When my bantam hatched out a clutch this last December (sneaky devil hid a nest under the deck) I did notice that the two roosters feathered out much differently than the five pullets. From what I understand, sounds like that may also vary by breed so not to be counted on but was very noticeable with my cochins.
Have one bantam rooster left to find a home for and was hoping not to have to rehome a second one! I feel better with multiple opinions.
Thanks again!
That would depend on what you mean when you said they feathered out much differently. Generally speaking young cockerels feather out much more slowly than young pullets as related to the over all plumage of the body developing. This is why the presence or absence of a developed tail at about the 2 week mark is one of the early clues experienced folks will use to start sorting their chicks by suspected gender. In addition to the development of the tail feathers cockerels feather out much more slowly across the rest of the body and when you compare 2 chicks hatched at the same time you can start to see this difference. S though, you were referring to color or pattern this is not universal. It does vary by breeds as many patterns feather and very similarly at young ages and it is only after the juvenile molts that the gender specific feathering develops. There are several colors and patterns that feather in with very distinct differences between male and female birds. For example Brown leghorn welsummers and others of that pattern you will note that as early as 3 to 4 weeks when the chest feathers come in males feather in with black chest and females was salmon. Sex links is another example although for them the difference is apparent at hatch. The differences though do continue as the birds mature and when you start to see a difference in the color or pattern you know who is who. Understanding the differences in adult plumage for a given breed or cross help to make it easier to start sorting your chicks at younger and younger ages.

It was the "generally speaking" part :) Much slower feathering out and as you mentioned, no tails and back feathers while the little pullets really feathered evenly. My monster EE chick is evenly feathered like all the others in the brooder. I wish I could relay just how huge she is. She is like twice the size of the other EE. They are both healthy and active, but I think I know who the future Queen pin will be...

Back
Top Bottom