Easter Egger hen or roo?

Blessedmamaof6

Chirping
Mar 16, 2023
I bought some Easter eggers several weeks ago. They were supposed to be 6-8 month old pullets. This one is concerning me and I’m worried that I have a cockerel. One of my roosters appeared to try to mount her a couple times when I introduced her to my flock, so I thought that confirmed she was a Pullet. However, I’m concerned that she’s growing saddle feathers and her comb has me worried. I penned her up to take pictures and she wouldn’t stand up straight because she was trying to figure out how to get out.
IMG_4648.jpeg
IMG_4650.jpeg
IMG_4645.jpeg

This was her a couple weeks ago. You can see how she normally stands.
IMG_4241.jpeg

You still may have a hen,,,, until you hear chicken crow. Looking at the comb...... It is not as wide as usual on cockerels.
Compare the comb to your other rooster, and then evaluate.

You still may have a hen,,,, until you hear chicken crow. Looking at the comb...... It is not as wide as usual on cockerels.
The bird has male specific saddle feathers and a red shoulder. As much as I'd want to say there's hope for a pullet, I can't. It's a cockerel.

This is definitely not true, this is an obvious cockerel. Pointed saddles, pointed hackles, sickles, male-specific coloring on the wing bow, etc.

One of my roosters appeared to try to mount her a couple times when I introduced her to my flock, so I thought that confirmed she was a Pullet.
Your rooster was actually attacking the cockerel to show dominance.

I’m concerned that she’s growing saddle feathers
All chickens have saddle feathers. It's the shape of the saddle feathers that matters. Males have pointed saddle feathers, and females have rounded saddle feathers.

All chickens have saddle feathers. It's the shape of the saddle feathers that matters. Males have pointed saddle feathers, and females have rounded saddle feathers.
Yes, I’m aware that all chickens have saddle feathers. I meant that I was afraid that his saddle feathers were getting pointy. I didn’t know though cause his aren’t nearly as pointy as my other roosters, so I was hoping maybe he still had a chance of being a hen. Oh well! I can’t keep another rooster as I don’t have enough hens or space, so he’ll probably have to find a new coop. 😢

Well, I hope the other pullets I got really are females then. I’m pretty sure the gray one (Jewel) is but the little brown one (Brownie) is too young for me to tell.
IMG_4724.jpeg

IMG_4722.jpeg

IMG_4727.jpeg

IMG_4717.jpeg

IMG_4726.jpeg

IMG_4728.jpeg

As I said earlier, they’re supposed to be about 7-9 months now, but this little brown one (Brownie) has to be a bit younger than that.

Back
Top Bottom