Easter Egger laying white eggs?

SimpleSonflower

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 10, 2011
My Easter Egger started laying today and I was so excited to see a light blue/green egg but...........she laid a white egg? Is this normal? Do some Easter Eggers just not have the tinted color ?
th.gif

No, I already used it (hehe).....I made peanut butter cookies. It was white like my leghorns. I practically saw her lay it though so I know it was her. ??????

Yea it happens. Ameraucanas or in this case eater eggers usually have the blue allele or blue gene in their genetics. However, easter eggers are cross breeds or "mutts" so an ameraucana could have been crossed with a leghorn or some other breed making them lose this particular trait. This trait may not be necessary lost but it definitely isn't dominant.

Hey! I was wrong! I guess the other egg was from one of my leghorns. I found this in my garden this morning :) I guess she was in the nesting box for a long time but decided she like the garden to lay better. Beautiful, huh?

No, I already used it (hehe).....I made peanut butter cookies. It was white like my leghorns. I practically saw her lay it though so I know it was her. ??????

Roosters have laid eggs this same way...
gig.gif
Unless you see the egg come out of the chicken or the egg was hot and still damp and you see a chicken with a pulsating vent standing over it when you open the door, the chicken hanging around in the box when you collect the egg means nothing.

I'm glad you got your blue egg
smile.png
I know that egg color was the reason I selected some EEs so I would have been bummed if I'd had a white or brown layer in that group.

Yea it happens. Ameraucanas or in this case eater eggers usually have the blue allele or blue gene in their genetics. However, easter eggers are cross breeds or "mutts" so an ameraucana could have been crossed with a leghorn or some other breed making them lose this particular trait. This trait may not be necessary lost but it definitely isn't dominant.

Actually, it is dominant and that's how a chick can hatch from a blue or green egg and then lay white herself. If you have a hen with one blue gene and one white and you mate her to a rooster without the blue egg gene (either because he's some other breed or an EE that didn't inherit the blue gene himself), you can have your hen pass her white and the rooster pass his and get a white egg layer hatched from a blue egg.

Whew! I am waiting for our EE to lay her first egg and I might have had a heart attack if I saw a white egg. I know it is possible but I still am hoping for a beautiful colored egg like yours.

Back
Top Bottom