Easter Egger loosing neck feathers

RunChixRun

Chirping
Feb 19, 2020
Im in CT. There are 6 birds in the coop. None seam to be picking on her. They all molted in December I think. I don't notice her scratching at herself but she could be. Any advice would be great. Thx.

chix01.jpg

Attachments

• chix02.jpg
    chix02.jpg
    384.6 KB · Views: 6
  • chix03.jpg
    chix03.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 6
I've seen neck molts, but generally it's in the early spring. I think I see broken feathers, have you checked for mites? Do you have a rooster?

I've seen neck molts, but generally it's in the early spring. I think I see broken feathers, have you checked for mites? Do you have a rooster?
No rooster. Will you actually SEE the mites? Around her neck area? I will go take a good look? If that is it how do you get rid of them? Should I treat all the birds?

Thanks for your help.

If she's badly infested you will see them crawling. You might also see them in you nest boxes. I use a poultry dust to treat, other use a spray. Both birds and coop will need treatment. Generally once a week for 3-4 weeks to break the life cycle.

Another option is other birds are plucking them out. You may have to spend some time quietly watching them to see if that's going on.

Back
Top Bottom