Easter egger or Ameraucana?

Scoot Dee

In the Brooder
May 24, 2017
Michigan
Can anyone tell me if this pretty lady is an Easter egger or an Ameraucana? We got her and six other chicks from a family farm and home store in Michigan. We have 2 Ameraucanas, 2 Buff Orpington s, and 2 white Leghorns. We were told that we had ameraucana hens but would like to know for sure. I know the picture attached isn't that great so I will post another shortly. Thanks for any answers!
20170529_114543.jpg

Can't really see any details because of the lighting. I don't even see any muffs. A shot out in natural lighting might help.

From Townline hatchery:

Product Description
The Ameraucana chicken was developed in the United States and is one of three breeds that lay colored eggs. While they bear many similarities to the Araucana including pea combs and many variations of facial feathers, unlike the Araucana, the Ameraucana has a tail. These should not be confused with “Easter Egger” chicks as they are a pure bred chicken. However, our Ameraucana breeder flocks are not bred specifically by feather color and are not bred for show quality. All around, they are great egg producers and attention grabbers for your flock!

There is a lot of animosity from the Ameraucana breeders toward hatcheries and hatchery-bred birds for statements like the one pasted above so it's a lot easier to just call them EEs. They don't meet the Ameraucana breed standard.

Yes, I see their description for Ameraucana as:

Add some color to your flock with this interesting breed that lays an array of colored eggs! Egg colors can include blue, green, pink, or olive drab. The birds vary in color and size, some with whiskers and others with muffs of feathers covering the ears.

Which means Easter Egger.

Yes, I see their description for Ameraucana as:

Add some color to your flock with this interesting breed that lays an array of colored eggs! Egg colors can include blue, green, pink, or olive drab. The birds vary in color and size, some with whiskers and others with muffs of feathers covering the ears.

Which means Easter Egger.

Well I emailed the hatchery because I would like to know if their birds are pure bred ameraucanas or Easter Eggers. Honestly it doesn't matter either way because I love my girls and we are not going to get rid of them just because they are not the breed we thought they were. It would just be nice to know so I know when the 2 I have start laying eggs because they will lay a blue egg or a close variation.

Back
Top Bottom