easter egger question?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by albird101, Nov 11, 2014.

1. albird101

albird101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2013
    So my easter eggers are turning 5 weeks on Saturday, I'm pretty sure I have 3 pullets and 4 Cockrell but I'll post pictures to really determine there gender!! My biggest question is when do they start filling in there beards and when do they start gaining size? There like small little chickens already they just need to feather out some more they had muffin when they were babies so I'm hoping they have muffs when there bigger

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sorry I don't have personal experience with EE's but, the responders that will be coming on soon, do. Not all ee's have the pouffs I think it depends on what cross was made to create them. I think the fluffy cheeks are their best feature.

Welcome to Backyard chickens.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

I don't have much experience with Easter Eggers, so I can't answer your question. However, I'm sure someone will come along who can answer it.

Good luck with your chicks!

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] We're glad to have you.

I've only raised one Easter Egger. Unfortunately, it's been four years since she was a chick and I don't remember when she started to develop her muffs/beard. I do know that she grew at the same rate as my other chicks. She didn't get quite as large as my Wyandottes, however.

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Unfortunately I don't have any experiences with EE's either!!

Good luck with your birds and welcome to our flock!

6. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    I had 5 Easter Eggers that I bought as day old chicks. Those who had beards and muffs had them from day one. Three had fluffy little faces, two did not. When they feathered out, the three puffy faced little chicks had beautiful beards and muffs and the two that didn't are smooth faced. I still have 4 EEs - we lost one to a stupid freak accident and she was smooth faced but SO gorgeous - the most unusual color pattern. I went through a period when they were about 5 or 6 weeks old when the fluffs seemed to have lost their fluff, but it came back a few weeks later. Hope this helps. I have pics if you think that would help.

7. SD Bird Lady

SD Bird Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

My ees go through a stage where they lose their baby fluff and feather out where their beards seem very sparse but they came back.

8. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Not all EE have beards and muffs. If they have them, you will already see them by 5 weeks. You can usually tell when the hatch. I have a tuffless Araucana rooster that I will be using on a few hens next year and all his babies will be clean faced OEs and EEs.

9. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] so glad you joined us.

10. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Yep, that's what I have - 3 bearded and muffed and 2 smooth - well, one smooth since Pearl died.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by