Easter egger questions...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mags2009, Oct 31, 2009.

1. mags2009

mags2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I have 3 almost 14 week old easter eggers. At what age to they typically start to lay? Also, do they get combs and wattles, and do we still look for a "red" face before they lay? Are there any laying signs in them? I know mine are too young, just want to know beforehand.... Thanks.

2. ShaggysGirl

ShaggysGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Temperance, MI
    Mine started laying last week they were 20 weeks old. Their combs started getting dark red about two weeks ago. And the rooster has been mating them for about two or three weeks.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They don't get wattles like most birds. When the combs turn color, they will lay within two or three weeks usually.

4. mags2009

mags2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Do they get "large" combs?

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

If they are pea combed, no the comb isn't like a single comb. The girls rarely get big combs at all.

Here is my Charlotte at 23 weeks old-see her comb? That's full size. Her sister, Silver, is on the right and hers isn't as large as Char's.
    [​IMG]

6. The Zoo

The Zoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Hayward, CA
    MY EE laid her first egg at 28.5 weeks. The roo had been mating her for a couple of weeks and her comb and wattles had gotten darker red about 2 weeks before she laid her first egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by