Easter Egger rooster or hen 6 weeks old

one with darker head we think might be rooster? 6 weeks old. Super friendly
The circled one I believe cockerel. He appears to be getting in Mohogany wing splotches which usually mean cockerel.

386BDF0A-585F-44E8-87E1-AD8F44D1DB18.jpeg

Ok, we will pray that he stays “nice”. My 9 year old daughter loves him. My poor husband is building the chicken/duck coop combo - now I tell him he might need another section for rooster...lol

It's great you have so much land and can keep your boy!
Keep in mind that he might need a little more understanding as he grows up and is figuring things out. My guy started getting offended at all things that rustled (like bags) his first spring, and I didn't know what was going on because I was a first-timer. The initial hormone flare may surprise you, but it doesn't mean that he's mean, just that he needs a little more understanding because he's not a baby anymore and his job is to protect his flock. :)

It's great you have so much land and can keep your boy!
Keep in mind that he might need a little more understanding as he grows up and is figuring things out. My guy started getting offended at all things that rustled (like bags) his first spring, and I didn't know what was going on because I was a first-timer. The initial hormone flare may surprise you, but it doesn't mean that he's mean, just that he needs a little more understanding because he's not a baby anymore and his job is to protect his flock. :)
Aw! That makes me and my family have hope! Once we get an animal, they are family! But I’m new to chickens and have heard so much about getting rid of them. My girls handle him all the time. His name is Hercules! Lol

I would recommend to handle him extra often...try your best to keep him nice
My girls are holding him day and night. So far he is sweet. I told him he needs super extra love. we don’t want to have to get rid of him. He is family already! My husband is building a fortress of a coop and run. He doesn’t want any of our chicks or ducks to get hurt.

Aw! That makes me and my family have hope! Once we get an animal, they are family! But I’m new to chickens and have heard so much about getting rid of them. My girls handle him all the time. His name is Hercules! Lol
Do you eat eggs? Since I’m sure some will be fertilized? We are new city folk turned country, but always had country in our blood!

Do you eat eggs? Since I’m sure some will be fertilized? We are new city folk turned country, but always had country in our blood!
Oh yes, the eggs, whether fertilized or not, are edible. It only matters if they are fertilized if you want to hatch chicks. My bantam hen started laying around 10mos old and that first egg is pretty exciting!

I had a million questions when I started in 2019, and am still learning. The best things I did up front was preventative research:
A)keeping them safe from predators
B)how to keep them healthy/what to feed them.
Everything else has been tweaking along the way. Chickens have become my favorite hobby!

Is that your coop, in your avatar? It looks great! 👍

Back
Top Bottom