Easter Egger Roosters

mc26

In the Brooder
Jun 5, 2023
I am brand new to chickens and have nine 10 week old Easter eggers. I believe 3 or 4 of them are cockerels and I am wanting to keep one. I have read a few articles that ALL Easter Egger roosters are aggressive, is this true? Are there any warning signs to look for that a cockerel will end up being an aggressive and mean rooster? There is one that is already very dominant and the others seem to be more laid back.

I am brand new to chickens and have nine 10 week old Easter eggers. I believe 3 or 4 of them are cockerels and I am wanting to keep one. I have read a few articles that ALL Easter Egger roosters are aggressive, is this true? Are there any warning signs to look for that a cockerel will end up being an aggressive and mean rooster? There is one that is already very dominant and the others seem to be more laid back.
I had 4 roosters, 2 are EE. We decided to keep all of them until they attacked anyone. The only two we still have are the EEs. They are good boys, gentle and not people-agressive. It is a crapshoot. Our Orpington Roo was the worst of all of them.

Hello!

No, this cannot possibly be true! A rooster’s behavior depends on its personality and how it was raised. It may be true that Easter Egger roosters have more of an aggressive nature than other breeds, and tend to be meaner birds than other types (I’ve never heard this, but if you have then this is probably what was meant or thought to be true). I personally do not believe that any specific breed always, entirely, or never acts a certain way (rather, it may have tendencies), but it’s behavior depends on each individual bird. :)

Hello!

No, this cannot possibly be true! A rooster’s behavior depends on its personality and how it was raised. It may be true that Easter Egger roosters have more of an aggressive nature than other breeds, and tend to be meaner birds than other types (I’ve never heard this, but if you have then this is probably what was meant or thought to be true). I personally do not believe that any specific breed always, entirely, or never acts a certain way (rather, it may have tendencies), but it’s behavior depends on each individual bird.
One does seem to have more of an "attitude" than the others, but they all seem friendly for the most part as of now.

My little EE roo is 9 weeks and he is so respectful to the older hens and me. His brother is a mean little twerp I am definitely keeping not keeping him. I will be keeping his brother.
I definitely have one that has an attitude, but he's the prettiest of all of them, so I'm trying to decide which one I want to keep

Back
Top Bottom