Easter Egger runt?

bmaxim13

Chirping
Mar 5, 2023
We bought 3 Easter Eggers at the same time out of the same batch from TSC. They are 4 weeks old. 2 of them are quite large. Then we have one that seems about the same size from when we brought it home. She eats and drinks. But I'm worried as the others grow larger and she becomes very obviously small they will start picking on her. Should I remove her? I haven't seen any picking on her yet. She will push her way to get to the food when others are at the dish eating so I know she is a little spunky haha I have attached some pics of her near one of the other easter Eggers for size comparison

Attachments

• 20230328_172929.jpg
    20230328_172929.jpg
    892.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 20230328_172919.jpg
    20230328_172919.jpg
    651.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 20230328_172903.jpg
    20230328_172903.jpg
    482.7 KB · Views: 19
I’ve had a runt chick before, similar situation. The others quickly outgrew her although she was eating and drinking normally. At about 6 weeks she was half the size of the others. Ended up growing up to be a beautiful bird in similar size to all of her brooder mates.
That is good to know! Did you have any trouble with others picking on her? Right now I have 2 black marans and a comet that are just a tad bigger than her so I'm hoping they don't notice she is too small yet.

That is good to know! Did you have any trouble with others picking on her? Right now I have 2 black marans and a comet that are just a tad bigger than her so I'm hoping they don't notice she is too small yet.
I didn’t have any. Chicks are usually pretty tame so long as there’s not an already existing injury in which they’ll pick at. Key is adequate space and enrichment.

I had that very thing with one of my flocks, 1 EE runt, 1 not a runt; a few other breeds. She grew but was always smaller than the rest, layed eggs but even her eggs were really little. She wasn't overly picked on. Sadly she died at 2. She was just never quite right so I wasn't really surprised. It seemed like something was wrong neurologically?? She just lived the best life she could, given her tiny start, it happens.

I had that very thing with one of my flocks, 1 EE runt, 1 not a runt; a few other breeds. She grew but was always smaller than the rest, layed eggs but even her eggs were really little. She wasn't overly picked on. Sadly she died at 2. She was just never quite right so I wasn't really surprised. It seemed like something was wrong neurologically?? She just lived the best life she could, given her tiny start, it happens.
I am wondering how long she will make it. She was trying to eat out of the feeder that is on the wall last night with the bigger chicks, so I'm hoping she starts to really grow soon. I put them outside for a bit on Saturday and she stayed sitting in the sun by herself. I want to put them in the coop soon but she really doesn't have any feathers besides her wings and her tail, I brought her inside because I thought she may be cold, but she chirped and chirped when she was alone.

If it helps, the lot of 14 I have from RK seem to be between 1-2 weeks of one another in age. They don't always stay organized by age well in bulk batches coming in one week after the other, like happen in feed stores!

Have you offered them boiled egg, yet? My smaller chicks seem to be greatly benefitting from them as a treat about three times a week. It seems dramatic to say, but I actively see them grow in size the days they get them! It's also their very favorite thing I've offered so far.

I've also added game bird starter to my feed at a 20% ratio (four parts chick starter to one part game starter), and it's helping them catch up in size. The extra protein is good for everyone, as I understand it, just don't mix in *too much.*

If it helps, the lot of 14 I have from RK seem to be between 1-2 weeks of one another in age. They don't always stay organized by age well in bulk batches coming in one week after the other, like happen in feed stores!

Have you offered them boiled egg, yet? My smaller chicks seem to be greatly benefitting from them as a treat about three times a week. It seems dramatic to say, but I actively see them grow in size the days they get them! It's also their very favorite thing I've offered so far.

I've also added game bird starter to my feed at a 20% ratio (four parts chick starter to one part game starter), and it's helping them catch up in size. The extra protein is good for everyone, as I understand it, just don't mix in *too much.*
I have not tried the boiled egg! I will try that tonight, we are going away for a couple days and our neighbor is going to watch over the chicks and I told her to make sure to lift up the brooder plate to make sure Timon is still on her feet haha.

I have not tried the boiled egg! I will try that tonight, we are going away for a couple days and our neighbor is going to watch over the chicks and I told her to make sure to lift up the brooder plate to make sure Timon is still on her feet haha.
Hopefully it gives her the beneficial boost I'm seeing in mine, too!

Sadly she passed away today. I moved them out to the chicken coop interior because others were too big for the stock tank inside. I put the brooder heater plate out there and a heat lamp on. I'm not sure if the cold got to her or if she just was failure to thrive.

Back
Top Bottom