Easter Egger Sex-Links?

This still sounds a little bit iffy. If I were the OP I would cross only the breeds I know would give me sex-linked chicks for sure. Seems that a Rhode Island Red bred to the barred rock the OP has would give sex-linked chicks, or so I believe I read. It might be fairly easy to find the right rooster that could be had for free. So many are given away. That's how I got my rooster.

I just got done reading a little about breeding sex-linked chicks. I used to love genetics when I was taught in school. However, chicken genetics is much more complicated than I ever was taught. When I get time this winter I might sit down with paper and pencil and try to make sense of chicken genetics.

This still sounds a little bit iffy. If I were the OP I would cross only the breeds I know would give me sex-linked chicks for sure. Seems that a Rhode Island Red bred to the barred rock the OP has would give sex-linked chicks, or so I believe I read. It might be fairly easy to find the right rooster that could be had for free. So many are given away. That's how I got my rooster.

I just got done reading a little about breeding sex-linked chicks. I used to love genetics when I was taught in school. However, chicken genetics is much more complicated than I ever was taught. When I get time this winter I might sit down with paper and pencil and try to make sense of chicken genetics.
It's not iffy. The barring gene that creates black sex links is very straight forward. There are punnet squares that show how it works that help visualize that the male offspring inherit one barring gene and the female offspring inherit none. The only time it gets confusing is if you use a rooster who passes on a down color that is too light to see the head spot.

Yeah, I LOVE human genetics, but chicken genetics are a pain in the toosh.

It's not iffy. The barring gene that creates black sex links is very straight forward. There are punnet squares that show how it works that help visualize that the male offspring inherit one barring gene and the female offspring inherit none. The only time it gets confusing is if you use a rooster who passes on a down color that is too light to see the head spot.
Speaking of barring, nice pfp. ;)

What are punnet sqaures? I was playing with genetics and it came up.

So a family friend has an easter egger rooster that they want to give away (or eat). I want sex-links so that I can avoid getting attached to roos that we have to eat. I have barred rocks, cuckoo maran, a golden laced wyandotte, and another chicken that I think is a black sex link. Could I mix this easter egger roo with any of my hens and get sex-link easter eggers?
Thanks in advance!
I recommend barred breeds for sex-linked chicks, though the head dot is not always reliable.
When I hatch chicks, all have some amount of EE in them. The father of my current male was pure all EE, the mother was Red sex-links. I have a direct daughter of my male and he has sired so many of the current males.

What are punnet sqaures? I was playing with genetics and it came up.
These. Since barring is carried on the "Z" chromosome, you can see when it is distributed from the hen, only the males receive a copy.

2CE31FA8-7E45-4EF0-9A2B-A65AF51FB227.png

Back
Top Bottom