Easter Egger Sex-Links?

Pics
Wouldn't it work for fibro sexlink too? Or are they too fibromelanistic?

The question mentioned a barred hen, so I didn't bother to consider other options when I answered.

Fibromelanosis is not on the Z sex chromosome, but the gene that allows dark skin is. So yes, ayam cemani rooster crossed to a hen with light skin should produce chicks that can be sexed by skin color (dark-skinned daughters, light-skinned sons.)

You could mix him to the barred rock and cuckoo marans hens and create black sexlinks.

The males will be barred and have a head spot as chicks, the females will be solid.
Curious - mating my EE with a lavender orpington.. females solid males with spotted head? Any information will be most helpful. My gal just started laying and we checked her eggs (by eating them) they ARE FERTILE. going to collect several and incubate them, as she’s a terrible mother - leaves the nest right away and has dust baths and spa time. Hahaha.

Curious - mating my EE with a lavender orpington.. females solid males with spotted head? Any information will be most helpful. My gal just started laying and we checked her
Unfortunately, that would not work as in order to create black sexlinks you need a barred female x a non-barred male 😊

Curious - mating my EE with a lavender orpington.. females solid males with spotted head?
Only if the EE female has white barring.

The barring gene is what causes the spot on the head of the males. It's on the Z sex chromosome, so a hen gives it to her sons but not her daughters. (Males have ZZ sex chromsomes. Females have ZW, so any chick who gets W is a female, any chick who gets Z is male.)

Back
Top Bottom