Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Hi all. Such beautiful birds you all have! both the boys and the girls! Here's an update on my little Mochuela. Pic from when I posted two weeks ago, at 4 weeks of age: Today, 6 weeks old: Getting to be an interesting looking bird! I'm watching as instructed for black on the chest... So far, everything dark/black just looks like chick down to me...? I keep freaking out about bits of reddish color that I notice near shoulders, but I'm pretty sure this is coming from neck area, which is quite reddish, as you can see in the first two pics. Other pullets for comparison. They're different breeds (SLW and BCM), but interestingly, they're all much blockier and wider and deeper in the chest than my EE, as you can see here. I guess that's just a breed thing? The comb freaks me out regularly. Is this three rows?! Another comb pic. Behavior-wise, I'm not noticing anything masculine. This one stands and walks low to the ground -- actually lower than all my others, doesn't do any chest-bumping that I've seen, and is definitely NOT the first one to get worried about a noise or a crow overhead or anything. Frequently gets deeply into foraging; no watchful sentinel here. So despite that interesting comb and kind of crazy coloring I'm still calling her Mochuela instead of Mochuelo. I think/hope this one is going to turn out looking a lot like the one @QuailGuy88 posted a few weeks ago and again last week (who I think we decided was a pullet). Yay! Here's QuailGuy88's chick again: I think this is the BESTEST color for EE's!! And yes, I am *totally* biased. ;)
It totally is the best EE color. Mine is, of course, the same color! :hugs But with suspicious comb. Not sure exactly what it's called, though. Blue red...?
My Gracie looked just like that when she was younger :) .

How old, and can you post a photo that shows the comb better?
I wanna say six weeks... I might have to check that though. And if I can get a pic tomorrow I'll try, but I'm not horribly worried that she's a he just yet. I'm more interested in knowing if anyone has one the same color as her, I wanna know what she'll feather out to look like...

I wanna say six weeks... I might have to check that though. And if I can get a pic tomorrow I'll try, but I'm not horribly worried that she's a he just yet. I'm more interested in knowing if anyone has one the same color as her, I wanna know what she'll feather out to look like...
At six weeks, with a pink comb that is developed enough to be seen from the profile view, and with that dark patchy red coming in on the shoulder/wing area, it's probably a cockerel. He will likely look similar to a New Hampshire rooster, but with 'blue' markings instead of black.

At six weeks, with a pink comb that is developed enough to be seen from the profile view, and with that dark patchy red coming in on the shoulder/wing area, it's probably a cockerel. He will likely look similar to a New Hampshire rooster, but with 'blue' markings instead of black.
dang it... I hope that's not true... :( I got this one after my araucana died to replace it (I couldn't get another araucana but I wanted some green eggs at least)

Back
Top Bottom