Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Can anyone help me with a question I have? If I were to cross my blue splash olive egger with the EE pullet in my profile picture next Spring, what would the chicks grow up to look like.
All the chicks should get one copy of the Blue gene, so any patterning that is normally black, will be Blue instead. A few will likely be solid Blue. Beyond that, there is no telling. There is no way of knowing exactly what genes the rooster is carrying under that diluted extended black. The hen looks to be wild-type partridge with both silver and red/gold base color genes.
Even when you know the genes behind a breeding, things can be unpredictable when it comes to Easter Eggers.

All the chicks should get one copy of the Blue gene, so any patterning that is normally black, will be Blue instead. A few will likely be solid Blue. Beyond that, there is no telling. There is no way of knowing exactly what genes the rooster is carrying under that diluted extended black. The hen looks to be wild-type partridge with both silver and red/gold base color genes.
Even when you know the genes behind a breeding, things can be unpredictable when it comes to Easter Eggers.

Thank you. I'm trying to pick the two most different birds from my small flock to crerate the most varity inplumage color possible. The male is half blue splash marans and half Ameraucana . The person I got the female from had both kuckoo marans and Cornish in same "hen pen" as the Ameraucana Rooster. I believe he was a blue.

Last edited:
Thank you. I'm trying to pick the two most different birds from my small flock to crerate the most varity inplumage color possible. The male is half blue splash marans and half Ameraucana . The person I got the female from had both kuckoo marans and Cornish in same "hen pen" as the Ameraucana Rooster. I believe he was a blue.
What color was the Ameraucana used to produce the Olive Egger?

@junebuggen

Since I'm hoping to create a lot of feather color variety, should I pick a blue male instead? Splash is caused by 2 recessives and a blue has both black and splash, right?
Splash is the result of two copies of the dominant Blue dilute gene. One gene results in Blue 'patterning', no gene results in black 'patterning'. The base color remains unchanged.

Back
Top Bottom