Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

I am posting some pictures of my EE bantams about 8 weeks old. Here is what I have been thinking. The white and black one is a male, the buff and black is a male, the almost solid black with a touch of white on its wings is a female, the mostly white with buff spots is female, and the tri color that I will post first is a male. I don't know View attachment 1051766 View attachment 1051770 View attachment 1051788 View attachment 1051794
It is hard to tell from the pics, they are too far away on most, especially the black and white, but I did not see any that looked like an obvious male. Would need better pics to be certain.

It is hard to tell from the pics, they are too far away on most, especially the black and white, but I did not see any that looked like an obvious male. Would need better pics to be certain.
I tried to get pictures closer up. The white and black one is afraid of my cell phone when I take pictures.
WP_20170624_12_20_16_Pro.jpg
WP_20170624_12_20_04_Pro.jpg
WP_20170624_12_22_57_Pro.jpg
WP_20170624_12_22_57_Pro.jpg

I posted a while back some pictures of my easter egger but I wanted some opinions on her/him now that she's older. I have this feeling she's a roo but I'm not totally sure...
She has a single comb.
Thanks everyone!

Attachments

• IMG_2766.JPG
    IMG_2766.JPG
    376 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2767.JPG
    IMG_2767.JPG
    368.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2768.JPG
    IMG_2768.JPG
    242.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2769.JPG
    IMG_2769.JPG
    339.4 KB · Views: 16
I will try to get closer pictures tomorrow. Thank you so much
Yeah, some of them think the camera has fangs and claws, the way they act!

Unlike EEs from a hatchery... the combs on your birds look more mixed, like a cushion comb, not the typical pea comb, so makes it a bit harder (like on Silkies!). These combs are very wide, but in a developing male they also will become raised, sort of puffy looking. Do you know how they were bred? (possible breeds?) Some breeds just develop more slowly (Brahmas and Wyandottes)

The white with black (cute color) will be the hardest. The comb looks redder than the others, but I've seen on silver based birds that they can get more red and still be pullets. I don't know if that color will develop any male specific feather pattern, so you may just end up waiting on this one. Comb is concerning, but I would hang on a couple more weeks to be sure.

To me, the other 3 still look like pullets. Combs are flat-ish and I don't see any male coloring coming in on any of their feathers. The black one does have more comb, but in profile, it doesn't look raised, and the overall coloring looks like a pullet. Unless your bantams tend to be late bloomers (my Seramas showed by 5 wks), I feel confident these are pullets, especially the last two. I agree, the last pullet is a beauty!

I posted a while back some pictures of my easter egger but I wanted some opinions on her/him now that she's older. I have this feeling she's a roo but I'm not totally sure...
She has a single comb.
Thanks everyone!
How old is it now? The most helpful picture would be a full side view of it standing naturally. Sometimes hard to get, but gives a lot of info as far as male coloring and male saddle feathers coming in. From what I can see, it looks like a pullet, including comb color, but depends on age and what it looks like in the parts I can't see.

Back
Top Bottom