Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

At what age do EE's get there beards and tufts or do some not get the big beards and tufts? I have an 18 week that doesn't have very big beard n tufts if any at all. Also I read the EE' stake longer before they lay my 2 Wellies that I got at the same time started squatting 2 days ago. Do EE squat and at what age should I expect to wait til she lays?
Greta

At 18 weeks old your EE should already have her beard if she was going to have one. I have two 25 week old EE's. One with a beard one without. One started laying at 22 weeks and the other is still not laying! Your girl's comb still needs to develop a bit more it looks like. I know the waiting is so hard! Be sure to post pica of that first egg!

Yah mine also started laying late 22 weeks, and your pretty girl hasn't reddened up in her comb yet so a few weeks yet, she is also whats called a clean faced EE no beard, my chicks beards were visible at about 2 to 3 weeks, although Lacy looked like she was gonna be a clean faced hen and then surprised me at a month with a nice fluffy beard.............. so at the age of your girl, she will not have one, doesn't mean she isn't just as pretty as all the others because she sure is.......... a beautiful pullet. ........Kim

I just noticed yesterday that my EE hens do not have any wattles at all. I know hens aren't supposed to have huge wattles anyway but I thought it was odd that they don't even have tiny wattles like my single comb birds do.

Kim I am glad she doesn't have a beard and tufts. When we got the three newest chicks I thought I was getting 3 Wellies. The people at the feed store were not so helpful and knowledgeable about chicks as I would have liked them to be. So I ended up with 2 Wellies and 1 EE. But I am happy with them all. I love each and every one's different personality.

I just noticed yesterday that my EE hens do not have any wattles at all. I know hens aren't supposed to have huge wattles anyway but I thought it was odd that they don't even have tiny wattles like my single comb birds do. 

None of my EE's have wattles to speak of. I don't really like the wattle look so that's one more reason I love EEs'!!!

I've got a gender question for y'all. This is the chick that we hatched out under our first ever broody. When it was hatched I feather sexed it (for the heck of it) and got that it was a girl. I know it's an EE because it hatched out of one of the green EE eggs. It honestly looks more like the RIRs we have than the EEs. It has bright yellow legs and what I think is a single comb. or an odd combo comb that is part single and part pea. It is 13 weeks old now. Here are a couple pictures.

Here is a comb picture for you. I swear the comb seems more single than anything else.

Here is a back shot.
I can get some better shots if I need to. These shots were taken last week so the chick would have been 12weeks old then. What do y'all think? Cockeral or pullet? By 13 weeks would I be seeing saddle feathers if it is a boy? I need to look closer at it and see what I can figure out. If it is a boy it has to go since we have all the boys we need right now.

Back
Top Bottom