Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Oh, my! your birds are simply gorgeous!! The last one is breathtaking!

Thanks, aoxa! You're the best! And those Phoenix are absolutely amazing birds.

(this does, unfortunately, mean I have another cockerel to rehome or cull...)
Thanks guys! Yes Phoenix is my most showy bird right now. He's all kinds of funky.

I guess you could call him a crested EE as he does carry the blue egg gene (as does his sister).

Cute babies........ wondering where ya got the outside octagon cage?

Thanks! I bought it on Amazon. I needed something that would allow them to be outside during the day while we are still finishing up the coop. I felt bad that they were stuck inside all day. Here is the link. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H8YTJI/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I figured 30 bucks was cheaper than trying to make something out of hardware cloth. That stuff is pricey. Looks like it's gone up a little in price since I got mine The pen has worked great and if we have to leave we cover it with a plywood sheet so the hawks can't get them. It's been a great way to get out dogs used to the chickens. Hopefully we'll have the run and coop up and running by the end of the week.

Can anyone help me sex my EE chickens and the only ameraucana chicken i have? I have 2 for sure roos, their combs are really dark red and the behave like roos. I'm just not sure out these, if anyone call help, they are almost 5 months old now.
Pretty sure this is a girl but still want to be sure.

This is my only true ameraucana, hope its a girl but I'm not sure at this point.

Looks girlie but still what to be sure on all my chickens, I have to many boys now and want to be sure before I rehome some of them.

Here is my frizzle, I have no clue what it is.

This bird has no tail yellow legs with a little bit of grey or green coloring on them, its comb is a really light pink.

This is my ameraucana again. I really hope its a girl but some of the tail feathers have me stumped. You can see a few of them in this picture are starting to curl and I don't know if that is a hen thing or a roo thing.

Can anyone help me sex my EE chickens and the only ameraucana chicken i have? I have 2 for sure roos, their combs are really dark red and the behave like roos. I'm just not sure out these, if anyone call help, they are almost 5 months old now.

This is my only true ameraucana, hope its a girl but I'm not sure at this point.

Looks girlie but still what to be sure on all my chickens, I have to many boys now and want to be sure before I rehome some of them.

This bird has no tail yellow legs with a little bit of grey or green coloring on them, its comb is a really light pink.

This is my ameraucana again. I really hope its a girl but some of the tail feathers have me stumped. You can see a few of them in this picture are starting to curl and I don't know if that is a hen thing or a roo thing.
They are all girls (except the one sitting down - I think that is a boy, but picture isn't great). Especially at 5 months old.

I'll probably post these a lot.. only if the shoe fits though ;) These birds bellow are 5 months and 1 year (the girl is one year).

Last edited:

I'm seeing all pullets (though we could do with a better photo of your frizzle's comb), except for your blue Ameraucana. That one the feathers look a little tattered so it's hard to see if there are pointed hackle and saddle feathers. I agree that the tail feathers look a little curly. The main thing to look for is the shiny, pointed feathers--aoxa beat me to it and gave a great reply about this
wink.png

Last edited:
I'm seeing all pullets (though we could do with a better photo of your frizzle's comb), except for your blue Ameraucana. That one the feathers look a little tattered so it's hard to see if there are pointed hackle and saddle feathers. I agree that the tail feathers look a little curly. The main thing to look for is the shiny, pointed feathers--aoxa beat me to it and gave a great reply about this
wink.png
Here is a better shot of the frizzles comb.

Oh yes, pullet!

I think aoxa was also concerned about the crele patterned one, so maybe a comb shot for that one too, ha! Sorry about all these photo requests...
I don't mind, I love sharing my babies with everyone.I will post again in a few, I'm gonna go out and take a good picture of it for you all

I have a 6-7 week (I think) EE that I bought from the local feed store. They were supposed to be sexed, but I think I may have gotten a roo. Could you experts weigh in and let me know what you think? Thanks so much for your help since I'm new to this.

Back
Top Bottom