Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Is any of you any good at sexing Olive Eggers? I have 2 EEs and 6 OEs and I am only dead certain of one being a roo due to a single red (not partridge orange like the rest of his wing) on each shoulder AND I followed the instructions for vent sexing and he looks to be a roo. Plus he has the bare spots where he is feathering slower.

The OE's are half Black Copper Marans. They seem to all have the pea comb. Two are still very yellow. There are two ages, 5 weeks and 8 or 9 weeks. The definite roo is from the young set. The other two young ones looked like pullets when I vent sexed but I am not sure I did them right. The one is black with white at the throat. The other seems to be charcoal (lighter black) with black lacing and a touch of white at the throat.

The older set has an aggressive partridge which may be a roo. Kept attacking the little roo until I made it sit in a time out cage for a day. One of the black ones is tailless and has round feathers but some of the feathers shine blue in the light. One of them is white splashed head transiting to black barring at the wings and loosing all the white splashes by the time you reach the tail. Two are black with white on the throats. One of these has the small yellow comb.

I will make another attempt to upload pics. For some reason I have been denied permission to upload pictures. If I have made some sort of social gaff that got my privileges revoked PLEASE somebody tell me what it was and I will never do it again! I sent a message to Support 6 days ago and have heard nothing.

Is any of you any good at sexing Olive Eggers? I have 2 EEs and 6 OEs and I am only dead certain of one being a roo due to a single red (not partridge orange like the rest of his wing) on each shoulder AND I followed the instructions for vent sexing and he looks to be a roo. Plus he has the bare spots where he is feathering slower.

The OE's are half Black Copper Marans. They seem to all have the pea comb. Two are still very yellow. There are two ages, 5 weeks and 8 or 9 weeks. The definite roo is from the young set. The other two young ones looked like pullets when I vent sexed but I am not sure I did them right. The one is black with white at the throat. The other seems to be charcoal (lighter black) with black lacing and a touch of white at the throat.

The older set has an aggressive partridge which may be a roo. Kept attacking the little roo until I made it sit in a time out cage for a day. One of the black ones is tailless and has round feathers but some of the feathers shine blue in the light. One of them is white splashed head transiting to black barring at the wings and loosing all the white splashes by the time you reach the tail. Two are black with white on the throats. One of these has the small yellow comb.

I will make another attempt to upload pics. For some reason I have been denied permission to upload pictures. If I have made some sort of social gaff that got my privileges revoked PLEASE somebody tell me what it was and I will never do it again! I sent a message to Support 6 days ago and have heard nothing.

Are you trying to use a tablet/phone to upload? It may not be something you've done, but are trying to use.
Without photos I'm not going to take a guess.

CG

Are you trying to use a tablet/phone to upload? It may not be something you've done, but are trying to use.
Without photos I'm not going to take a guess.

CG
Nope, My desktop and it used to work and about a week ago suddenly I wasn't allowed to upload pictures. It keeps telling me I don't have permission to create attachments. And I just tried it again and still the same.

Last edited:
I really hate that I can't get the pics up. There are some really interesting patterns going on between the Black Copper Maran genes and the Americana genes. I am just beginning to put my head around the genetics for chickens (I used to think Shetland and Icelandic sheep genes were crazy) but these are some patterns that my rudementary knowlege just doesn't explain.

I really hate that I can't get the pics up. There are some really interesting patterns going on between the Black Copper Maran genes and the Americana genes. I am just beginning to put my head around the genetics for chickens (I used to think Shetland and Icelandic sheep genes were crazy) but these are some patterns that my rudementary knowlege just doesn't explain.

This might be obvious to you but make sure you are using the "Insert Image" tool and not the "Insert Attachment" tool. I ran into the same problem earlier today when I was trying to use the attachment button.

Last edited:
I am having the hardest time uploading pictures today. Is the BYC having trouble today? I have uploaded before with no problem . But not today.
How do you report a problem with the site??????
I select the image button and it says it is uploading but it just sits there for ever like over 15 minutes and does nothing after that.

Last edited:
Anyone else's EEs the most curious and best escape artists out of their flock?? All 3 of mine are always out of their run and ruling my yard, it's great (for the most part, haha)!!

Anyone else's EEs the most curious and best escape artists out of their flock?? All 3 of mine are always out of their run and ruling my yard, it's great (for the most part, haha)!!

My EEs taught the others, and now they're all like that
barnie.gif
It's all fun and games until someone's tomatoes get eaten. Or lettuce scratched up. You get the picture.

Back
Top Bottom