Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Thanks for everyones help! I already have a roo and she was supposed to be my only laying EE.. I'm going to hold on to him just in case he turns out to be a she or hope (fingers crossed) he wont crow alot or is a quiet bird.

This is Roxy. 12 weeks old today

alright guys, im gonna be a pain here.... im on the verge of rehoming a couple of my chickens that i think are cockerels but i need to be super certain. they are pretty birds, i dont want to rehome them and find out they are pullets
hit.gif
so please confirm.

Red: comb says cockerel. its red, its got 3 rows. but ive read that that doesnt always mean cockerel. Red is not very roo like. doesnt strut, tail is NEVER up, always down and the feathers all seem to be rounded, no pointy ones, no attitude and no crow (pretty quiet bird actually). i think Red is around 10 weeks.

Here is Rue again. such mixed reviews on this one. so much so that i will still probably hold onto it until im positive. i know black/whites usually mean roo, but this chicken is super feminine. small pink comb but almost looks to be 3 rows... smaller than the other chickens of the same age. just doesnt seem very rooster like at all...

i do think this is a roo, but just want to confirm again. this guy is about 15 weeks old and is pretty chatty. big comb, but is not red, very pink/pale and single row. this guy might be going away tomorrow, unless by some miracle its a pullet not a cockerel? im pretty doubful on him, but because he is probably leaving tomorrow, just wanted a double check.

and lastly, i just want to verify that this is in fact a pullet? i just get these bad feelings that its a roo and i have so many roos right now! i really need it to be a pullet! lol but if it is a roo, ill be contacting the woman i got this one and the one above from and hopefully she will let me swap!

THANK YOU guys so much! i am so thankful for this forum, i really am. its a newbies best friend
hugs.gif

alright guys, im gonna be a pain here.... im on the verge of rehoming a couple of my chickens that i think are cockerels but i need to be super certain. they are pretty birds, i dont want to rehome them and find out they are pullets
hit.gif
so please confirm.

Red: comb says cockerel. its red, its got 3 rows. but ive read that that doesnt always mean cockerel. Red is not very roo like. doesnt strut, tail is NEVER up, always down and the feathers all seem to be rounded, no pointy ones, no attitude and no crow (pretty quiet bird actually). i think Red is around 10 weeks.

Here is Rue again. such mixed reviews on this one. so much so that i will still probably hold onto it until im positive. i know black/whites usually mean roo, but this chicken is super feminine. small pink comb but almost looks to be 3 rows... smaller than the other chickens of the same age. just doesnt seem very rooster like at all...

i do think this is a roo, but just want to confirm again. this guy is about 15 weeks old and is pretty chatty. big comb, but is not red, very pink/pale and single row. this guy might be going away tomorrow, unless by some miracle its a pullet not a cockerel? im pretty doubful on him, but because he is probably leaving tomorrow, just wanted a double check.

and lastly, i just want to verify that this is in fact a pullet? i just get these bad feelings that its a roo and i have so many roos right now! i really need it to be a pullet! lol but if it is a roo, ill be contacting the woman i got this one and the one above from and hopefully she will let me swap!

THANK YOU guys so much! i am so thankful for this forum, i really am. its a newbies best friend
hugs.gif
Your black is a cockerel. Your white/black a pullet, your red and black a pullet. Red is a puzzle the comb hints roo but the tail says pullet. I would go with pullet for now. Check you black roo to make sure that he hasn't picked up mites or some other parasite that can drain his blood supply. That is something that can make a comb unusually pale. Or it just might be that way. How many weeks old are they again?

Your black is a cockerel. Your white/black a pullet, your red and black a pullet. Red is a puzzle the comb hints roo but the tail says pullet. I would go with pullet for now. Check you black roo to make sure that he hasn't picked up mites or some other parasite that can drain his blood supply. That is something that can make a comb unusually pale. Or it just might be that way. How many weeks old are they again?

Red and Rue are probably around 10 weeks, but thats an estimate since i never got an actual hatch date. the guy i got them from didnt really seem to know much about chickens to begin with. he said they were 10-12 weeks old when i got them about 3-4 weeks ago and that just seems really off. the new ones i just picked up (the black and black and red ones as well as a couple others) are 15 weeks old and are quite a bit larger than these guys (as you can see in the photo with the black cockerel and Rue, the black and white one) and the lady i got them from breed chickens and knows considerably more than the guy i bought the first set from.

the black guy seems pretty healthy and i havent seem any mites, no feather loss, eating well, drinking well and no apparent signs of deteriorating health. but hes definitely just got a single row for a comb, thats why when i got him, i wasnt sure if it was a pullet or a cockerel but i had my doubts. but ill see if the lady i got him from will swap and give me a pullet, since thats what i was aiming for to begin with and told her so. ive got 6 EE roosters and a SLW rooster at this point and ill be getting a silkie rooster shortly. i only want 3 EE roosters, my Silver Lace Wyandotte rooster and then the silkie rooster. i dont want any more than that! lol

Red and Rue are probably around 10 weeks, but thats an estimate since i never got an actual hatch date. the guy i got them from didnt really seem to know much about chickens to begin with. he said they were 10-12 weeks old when i got them about 3-4 weeks ago and that just seems really off. the new ones i just picked up (the black and black and red ones as well as a couple others) are 15 weeks old and are quite a bit larger than these guys (as you can see in the photo with the black cockerel and Rue, the black and white one) and the lady i got them from breed chickens and knows considerably more than the guy i bought the first set from.

the black guy seems pretty healthy and i havent seem any mites, no feather loss, eating well, drinking well and no apparent signs of deteriorating health. but hes definitely just got a single row for a comb, thats why when i got him, i wasnt sure if it was a pullet or a cockerel but i had my doubts. but ill see if the lady i got him from will swap and give me a pullet, since thats what i was aiming for to begin with and told her so. ive got 6 EE roosters and a SLW rooster at this point and ill be getting a silkie rooster shortly. i only want 3 EE roosters, my Silver Lace Wyandotte rooster and then the silkie rooster. i dont want any more than that! lol

Well if they are that young then I think it is just that the red hasn't developed fully. I've noticed in mine that their combs will blush with stress or activity. Even the girls can get pretty pink combs if I have had to chase them to catch them.

Back
Top Bottom