Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Morgan7782, Mar 11, 2011.

1. lablover

lablover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2012
    Well, if I'm looking in the right place (lower back, above the tail) the small feathers coming in are colored and patterned the same way as the external feathers...

2. JacqueOCS

JacqueOCS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2013
    [​IMG]

This little one & her/his 5 mates were sold as 6-8 wk old Americauna pullets. They all have a green tiny to their legs. I'll post pics of the others too. Are they EE instead of Americaunas? Also, any guesses on sex? Thx for any info ;)

3. JacqueOCS

Mar 21, 2013
    [​IMG]

Here is another one.

4. JacqueOCS

Mar 21, 2013
    [​IMG]

They'd all just rec'd a bath & blow dry as they stunk something awful. Thx for any info!

5. ABeautifulLife

ABeautifulLife Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2013
    Central Florida
    First off, this thread is awesome! I've posted other places to find out about my hen/roo (PLEASE HEN). She was bought as an Ameraucana.. but is rumpless. Many say she is EE with Araucana in her/his background but alot of EE's I'm seeing here have a bunch of brown. She has a comb but it is the same size as my RIR pellet that is the same age. My roo has a pronounced tail and a bunch of red feathering and he's 3 weeks younger than her. She is 10 weeks old. She/he will stand up to the roo only if he is really messing with her. It has grey legs.. I don't know if that tells anything. I have read a bunch that the black and white patterning she has says male. She acts nothing like our roo, and is much more laid back. I'm here to learn so please any information you can pass on would be great!

.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She's the black chick

[​IMG]

Her with same age RIR infront of roo

[​IMG]

6. Peneliva

Peneliva Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2013
    Kentucky
    My vote is roo. Slow growing tail feathers could also be why it's rumpless. Let's see what the others say.

7. cassbickford

cassbickford Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2013
    Mine too!

8. Penny Hen

Penny Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2013
    Goodlettsville, TN

Take you fingers down the spine. If you find something that feels like a fleshy spade before you reach its butt that is the tail. If nothing is there but a butt then it is truly rumpless. I have two Olive Eggers, that are half Americana and half Black Copper Maran. One is truly tailess (Kiwi) and the other (Raven) has a tail but at half the normal size when I compared it to the other tailed OE I have the same age. I don't know the particulars of how rumplessness is inherited. I thought it might be recessive but that would mean the BCM's had to carry the gene and I don't think they are supposed to have that gene. In the British Auracana they have rumpless birds show up from time to time. Their Auracana calls for a tail and muffs and beard and is more like our Americana.

9. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Southwest Virginia
    My Coop
    Try not to bathe young chicks, no matter how bad they smell [​IMG] 8 weeks may be okay but it's still best to avoid it with chickens in general, even with the blow dry.

And the blow dry in this case makes it harder to guess their sex, though I'd definitely say that they are Easter Eggers and that those three look like pullets.

1 person likes this.
  10. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Southwest Virginia
    My Coop
    Quote: Looks like a rumpless Easter Egger. Definitely a cockerel! I agree with the others to check for true rumplessness, he's a really neat bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by