Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Mine started their baby feather molt at 8 weeks (!) after feathering in quite young. Not sure exactly when the back feathers came in because I wasn't looking for them but my EE boy had draping saddles at 14 so I'm sure they were coming in then.

Well, if I'm looking in the right place (lower back, above the tail) the small feathers coming in are colored and patterned the same way as the external feathers...

This little one & her/his 5 mates were sold as 6-8 wk old Americauna pullets. They all have a green tiny to their legs. I'll post pics of the others too. Are they EE instead of Americaunas? Also, any guesses on sex? Thx for any info ;)

First off, this thread is awesome! I've posted other places to find out about my hen/roo (PLEASE HEN). She was bought as an Ameraucana.. but is rumpless. Many say she is EE with Araucana in her/his background but alot of EE's I'm seeing here have a bunch of brown. She has a comb but it is the same size as my RIR pellet that is the same age. My roo has a pronounced tail and a bunch of red feathering and he's 3 weeks younger than her. She is 10 weeks old. She/he will stand up to the roo only if he is really messing with her. It has grey legs.. I don't know if that tells anything. I have read a bunch that the black and white patterning she has says male. She acts nothing like our roo, and is much more laid back. I'm here to learn so please any information you can pass on would be great!

She's the black chick

Her with same age RIR infront of roo

My vote is roo. Slow growing tail feathers could also be why it's rumpless. Let's see what the others say.

Take you fingers down the spine. If you find something that feels like a fleshy spade before you reach its butt that is the tail. If nothing is there but a butt then it is truly rumpless. I have two Olive Eggers, that are half Americana and half Black Copper Maran. One is truly tailess (Kiwi) and the other (Raven) has a tail but at half the normal size when I compared it to the other tailed OE I have the same age. I don't know the particulars of how rumplessness is inherited. I thought it might be recessive but that would mean the BCM's had to carry the gene and I don't think they are supposed to have that gene. In the British Auracana they have rumpless birds show up from time to time. Their Auracana calls for a tail and muffs and beard and is more like our Americana.

This little one & her/his 5 mates were sold as 6-8 wk old Americauna pullets. They all have a green tiny to their legs. I'll post pics of the others too. Are they EE instead of Americaunas? Also, any guesses on sex? Thx for any info
wink.png

Here is another one.

They'd all just rec'd a bath & blow dry as they stunk something awful. Thx for any info!

Try not to bathe young chicks, no matter how bad they smell
smile.png
8 weeks may be okay but it's still best to avoid it with chickens in general, even with the blow dry.

And the blow dry in this case makes it harder to guess their sex, though I'd definitely say that they are Easter Eggers and that those three look like pullets.

Back
Top Bottom