Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Is it possible there is anyone still watching this thread? I am looking for a 2nd opinion on whether or not one of our pullets is, instead, a cockerel. I don't know if EEs routinely grow a larger comb or wattles, so I am seriously confused. As you can see, there isn't any comb or wattle growth to mention, and this bird is approximately 3.5 months old. Do all EEs have the red tinting on their beaks? It looks cool, and I really don't want to get rid of the bird if it's a pullet. Any ideas?
That is a cockerel. Those red patches on the shoulders are typical male.

This is a side-view of the same bird. Do male EEs grow wattles at all?
idunno.gif

Is it possible there is anyone still watching this thread? I am looking for a 2nd opinion on whether or not one of our pullets is, instead, a cockerel. I don't know if EEs routinely grow a larger comb or wattles, so I am seriously confused. As you can see, there isn't any comb or wattle growth to mention, and this bird is approximately 3.5 months old. Do all EEs have the red tinting on their beaks? It looks cool, and I really don't want to get rid of the bird if it's a pullet. Any ideas?
Looks like a Pullet to me but I'm new at this myself

This looks like a slow developing cockerel
hmm.png

And what dyou mean, there are tons of us watching this thread!
lol.png

That is definitely, without a doubt in my mind, a rooster.

He has a large comb, dark red spots in the wings, and pointy hackle & Saddle feathers coming in.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Heartmoss Farm and Aoxa! Whew, I was hoping the red mixing in was the ladylike salmon red I always hear of on here and not the manly dark red but I wasnt sure since I had nothing to compare her color to. Glad she will most likely be staying an "Amelia" :)

Really want an EE in my flock. Looks like Custard is a roo and my neighbors won't go for that. Are all hens a lighter color? Maybe I can trade Custard for a hen somewhere locally! Our friends did hatch out one more ee baby. not sure of it's sex though.

Really want an EE in my flock. Looks like Custard is a roo and my neighbors won't go for that. Are all hens a lighter color? Maybe I can trade Custard for a hen somewhere locally! Our friends did hatch out one more ee baby. not sure of it's sex though.
They can be any colour.

I have some all white EEs even.

There is such a wide variety.

Back
Top Bottom