Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

I

I think my EE on the left is a roo his tail feathers are more sleek and at 5 weeks old he has lil roo traits. The other I believe is a pullet Would love some opinions, I have never had EE's before would love to keep both but have bad luck with roos and kids :(

possible pullet?

possible roo?
The top one: maybe a girl. The pattern is somewhat uneven for me to be sure. The one roo I have had similar chest color which later turned deep red.
The bottom one: 100% girl.

Last edited:
Afraid to ask...but the time has come. My first 4 chicks are now nearly 7 weeks old and while I am positive the RIR is a pullet my EE's are confusing me. Any guesse's or opinions would be most welcome =-)

Chick 1 - Sparrow, from what I've read she's a typical pullet color..but she has also developed the brightest looking comb. I don't think it's a peacomb either..it looks more like a single to me.

Chick 2 - Solo, I started to panic when the feather's came in black and white but so far no red and the comb is small and paler then the chick's above

Chick 3 - Sunny, strange color, slowest to feather small strange looking comb..I don't think it's a pea comb either. Also the most skittish so hard to get decent shots of this one...and Sparrow keeps photobombing them

Afraid to ask...but the time has come. My first 4 chicks are now nearly 7 weeks old and while I am positive the RIR is a pullet my EE's are confusing me. Any guesse's or opinions would be most welcome =-)

Chick 1 - Sparrow, from what I've read she's a typical pullet color..but she has also developed the brightest looking comb. I don't think it's a peacomb either..it looks more like a single to me.

Chick 2 - Solo, I started to panic when the feather's came in black and white but so far no red and the comb is small and paler then the chick's above

Chick 3 - Sunny, strange color, slowest to feather small strange looking comb..I don't think it's a pea comb either. Also the most skittish so hard to get decent shots of this one...and Sparrow keeps photobombing them

They all look like girls to me.

Group shot, I know they are a bit young yet, but fully feathered except their heads

First blush says this overall grey patterning is pullet right?

I'm questioning this red one, mostly red, looks flashy or is that just because of the red? Most of the chicks are barred.

closest comb shot I could manage of Red.

Group shot, I know they are a bit young yet, but fully feathered except their heads
The lower 2 and the upper right look like pullets so far. Upper left looks like a cockerel.

First blush says this overall grey patterning is pullet right?
Yes, usually. Cockerels will almost always start showing red on the wings around this age, sometimes later.
The chick (you can't see its head) just above the gray one looks more like cockerel coloring.

closest comb shot I could manage of Red. Red is a cockerel. Coloring and comb agree.

Back
Top Bottom