Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Here are some updated pictures of my 5 EEs. They are 6 weeks old now, I am pretty sure the first is a boy and I think the rest are girls but I am new to this and would appreciate any guesses or comments.

#1 Bull (Very stalky legs and body, pointed and rounded down tail feathers)

#2 Wildling (Rounded and pointed tail feathers, smallest of all EEs)

#3 Cateyes (Round tail feathers, Very friendly. PS- She is standing up listening to the neighbors music, lol)

#4 Legs (Has always had long legs but starting to grow into them, mostly round tail feathers, very independent)

#5 Ginger (Round tail feathers, very quiet personality)

Again, I am a new chicken mama and still trying to learn what I can and try to tell the boys from the girls so any help is welcome.

Here are some updated pictures of my 5 EEs. They are 6 weeks old now, I am pretty sure the first is a boy and I think the rest are girls but I am new to this and would appreciate any guesses or comments.

#1 Bull (Very stalky legs and body, pointed and rounded down tail feathers)

#2 Wildling (Rounded and pointed tail feathers, smallest of all EEs)

#3 Cateyes (Round tail feathers, Very friendly. PS- She is standing up listening to the neighbors music, lol)

#4 Legs (Has always had long legs but starting to grow into them, mostly round tail feathers, very independent)

#5 Ginger (Round tail feathers, very quiet personality)

Again, I am a new chicken mama and still trying to learn what I can and try to tell the boys from the girls so any help is welcome.
#1 is a cockerel because he had patchy white coloring and #4 I am not to sure about. I am leaning toward cockerel because the comb looks bigger from this angle. Maybe get a better pic of #4 but the rest look like pullets

#1 is a cockerel because he had patchy white coloring and #4 I am not to sure about. I am leaning toward cockerel because the comb looks bigger from this angle. Maybe get a better pic of #4 but the rest look like pullets

Thanks for the input, I am not sure that #4's comb is any bigger than the rest but I have always been wondering about that one because of her size and how the chest is pretty red and doesn't blend with the wings like it does with the other girls.

Thanks for the input, I am not sure that #4's comb is any bigger than the rest but I have always been wondering about that one because of her size and how the chest is pretty red and doesn't blend with the wings like it does with the other girls.
All but #1 look like pullets to me. I would expect red patches in the wings rather than that nice even color if #4 was a cockerel and I'm not seeing red in the comb at all. The sun is shining on it, but no red.

Update on Penn, who we think has that double fray (fr) gene. At 5 weeks, her feathers are coming in and she looks less of a mess now. I haven't noticed as much feather breakage either, though she's missing some primaries that broke earlier. Her comb hasn't gotten any bigger or at all pink. Kinda nobbly, but I can't see distinct rows of peas. I'm still hoping she's a girl...? Either way, she's loving her new run, even if she was a little warm at first.

Penn is growing well and looking good. Chicks go through molts that we hardly notice, so they can change quickly when young. If Penn's feathers come in normal and not split, then I doubt it is from fray genes, because the hookless phenotype won't go away with age. I was thinking about our cockerel's split feathers and how he outgrew them and am wondering if he had a nutritional problem as a chick. Maybe before hatch even.
idunno.gif
I know he doesn't fray because no splits as an adult.

Hoping that Penn is a pullet, but still think it looks more like a cockerel. sorry Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.
old.gif
Keep us posted.
fl.gif

Here are some updated pictures of my 5 EEs. They are 6 weeks old now, I am pretty sure the first is a boy and I think the rest are girls but I am new to this and would appreciate any guesses or comments. #1 Bull (Very stalky legs and body, pointed and rounded down tail feathers) #2 Wildling (Rounded and pointed tail feathers, smallest of all EEs) #3 Cateyes (Round tail feathers, Very friendly. PS- She is standing up listening to the neighbors music, lol) #4 Legs (Has always had long legs but starting to grow into them, mostly round tail feathers, very independent) #5 Ginger (Round tail feathers, very quiet personality) Again, I am a new chicken mama and still trying to learn what I can and try to tell the boys from the girls so any help is welcome.
I agree with your guesses, all girls except #1! Great looking little EE flock:)

The smaller black one on the right is definitely a female. The other gray one is questionable. It's possible (but not common) to have a female with a 3-row comb, so one cannot only judge only based on comb. If the comb were more red instead of pink, then you'd have a boy for sure. The comb looks more pink to me. With this one, you'll have to look at feather patterns, thickness of legs compared to other EEs of same age, posture/ stance, and maybe even behavior. On the plus side, since it's getting older, s/he may crow or lay an egg soon. That's the easy way to tell the sex. Early crows sound nothing like a crow. It could be a weird honk, gargle, or even gobbling.
okay, good to know. i'll keep watching and listening. their brother oliver was kind enough to educate us in what an early crow sounds like - metallic screeching! what do you think of the salmon colour on her wings?

okay, good to know. i'll keep watching and listening. their brother oliver was kind enough to educate us in what an early crow sounds like - metallic screeching! what do you think of the salmon colour on her wings?

Salmon is actually more of a girl trait, it's red you have to watch out for. Here's an example of a hen with salmon:

Salmon is actually more of a girl trait, it's red you have to watch out for. Here's an example of a hen with salmon:

that's what i thought. this bird looks very, very like mine. i have another, oliver, the one who crowed, who has dark rust red on his wings.
elisa

Back
Top Bottom