Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Just hoping to get more input..... Wanting to figure out if my EE is a cockerel or not. She's beginning to get the same feathering from her neck on her saddle. The feathers look pointed but have a thin white lining around it that makes it look some what round at a closer look. Any suggestions? She's about 9 weeks old.

Nine weeks is a little too soon for hackles and saddle feathers to be fully developed, but that comb is all boy. You'll start to see saddle feathers in the next few weeks, they are so shiny it will be hard not to notice them.

Thank you! I will keep an eye out for the saddle feathers. This ones comb is turning red so fast, as where my other chics still have yellow combs, and I got them all within a short period from each other (within a week)

I hatched a chick that's mom was a white Ameraucana and Dad was a yellow leg, single comb EE. This is what the chick looks like at 2 weeks. It looks a lot like the dad, single comb and yellow legs but what are my chances of a green egg? If is a Pullet?? Any thoughts??

Pic of the Roo

Pic of the hen

I am excited the little Brahma pullet I have has finally stopped pulling out the beard and muff of the EE's. I am relaxing a bit about this one being a pullet, She is still a dainty little thing and I think the red that is coming in is not red enough to be rooster red what do you all think?

NickyPick- that is one PUPO or pullet until proven otherwise. I don't see any indications of it being a roo.

Freenerick- Willows pictures are kinda dark, but more than that the splotches have me worried. You are right at the point that it will start changing rapidly if it is a roo. watch for the new feathers near the tail in the next 2 weeks if the comb hasn't gone dayglo by then. ;-)

NewMarch- first one is PUPO but the second the one that looks like mine... I hate to say it but I think I see some pointy saddle/tail feathers coming in. The comb still looks fine though. Still holding my breath on yours and mine! Are you hoping for pullet or roo? The chick is beautiful either way. LOL

Poopsalot - OMG the pictures are cracking me up. LOVE IT! They look happy and healthy and if you keep posting updates we'll all chime in as the grow as to thinking if they are roo/pullet.

Last edited:
Now, for this weeks installment of watching for roo...

This chick is still driving me mad. I switch almost daily on thinking it is a roo and then thinking pullet.

Color is still evenly distributed, and FINALLY starting to grow a tiny beard.

This week the comb has gotten thinner, but the ridge in the middle is standing up some now as well.

So- who's got a quarter...we can flip for it. ;-) Funny how some are so easy to tell and others make you wait it out to see. I did notice saddle feathers coming in. Can't wait until they are free of the cuticle and I can see if they are rounder or pointier!!!

Either way I've got to make a decision soon - if it's a roo I have someone waiting for it. So you bet I'll be posting here on Friday this week instead of waiting until Monday again!

And, since I'm not really sure - does anyone have a chick that looked clean faced turn out to have muffs or a beard. It seems this one is getting a very small beard, but no muffs yet. Then again neither of my EE have started with the ear muffs, and the other chick definitely had muffs as a chick.

This chick is still driving me mad. I switch almost daily on thinking it is a roo and then thinking pullet.

Color is still evenly distributed, and FINALLY starting to grow a tiny beard.

This week the comb has gotten thinner, but the ridge in the middle is standing up some now as well.

So- who's got a quarter...we can flip for it. ;-) Funny how some are so easy to tell and others make you wait it out to see. I did notice saddle feathers coming in. Can't wait until they are free of the cuticle and I can see if they are rounder or pointier!!!

Either way I've got to make a decision soon - if it's a roo I have someone waiting for it. So you bet I'll be posting here on Friday this week instead of waiting until Monday again!

And, since I'm not really sure - does anyone have a chick that looked clean faced turn out to have muffs or a beard. It seems this one is getting a very small beard, but no muffs yet. Then again neither of my EE have started with the ear muffs, and the other chick definitely had muffs as a chick.
So mine that looks like this that is a bit darker in color (that I am also debating on her/him) had no beard at all when I got her -she is now just over 7 weeks- and then the Brahma picked her and the bearded one clean of feather in the beard
barnie.gif
but now her beard is coming in really beautifully. I thought she was going to have a clean shaven face so I am excited. not to cast doubt on your hopes but I am pretty sure the legs on yours looks much more stout than mine. But maybe if yours is a female and mine a male maybe you can rehome mine for me ;) I would consider keeping mine if it was a male except I am pretty sure I also got a Brahma that is a roo and I am thinking if I keep a roo it will be him. Not enough hens for 2 roos since if this one is too I would be down to just 6 hens. UGH.

It's a soap opera! Days of Our Poultry. As the Pullet Turns (into a cockerel
tongue.png
) Still on the fence, so I'm waiting for the next installment. Have you looked on the wings for dark red feathers coming in? At least you've got a plan B in place if it is a male. That makes waiting a little easier.

Back
Top Bottom