Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

So here's my Easter Egger gang, (one might be an ameraucana, I ordered them as a "blue egg layers" bunch, so not sure about breeds, and that doesn't really matter to me)

I'm pretty sure that white and fair ones are pullets, but not 100% sure with darker ones. Any guesses? (the blue one was before "diagnosed" as a pullet here, and I hope she is girl, yet, I don't know why I still feel unsure. Maybe it's just because she's 2 weeks older than others, so she is a bit bigger, and maybe if she is more like an ameraucana than easter egger, there's difference to others. Although, that white one looks a lot like an ameraucana too, but "feels" more like a pullet. Hard to describe.

Based on their tails, I am guessing they are 9-10 weeks old with the blue then at 11 - 12. Size doesn't make it male, of my original now 3 Y/O girls, one BA was noticeably bigger with a rattier tail than the other starting at a few weeks old. Boy did I sweat!

Does the hatchery sell both EEs AND Ameraucanca? If so, they might have tossed in a true Ameraucana. If not they are all EEs. I'm not sure if any hatchery is really selling "purebred" Ameraucana but if they claim both, it could be.

Actually, the only one I think could be a cockerel is the "messy" looking one. The others are very evenly patterned and there is no hint of a comb on the blue so don't worry about her. No comb on any of the other three either and the "messy" one looks to not be a 3 row pea. Could be just a mix of color genes that is sorting itself out. Don't lose sleep yet and post more pictures of that one in a week or two.

So here's my Easter Egger gang, (one might be an ameraucana, I ordered them as a "blue egg layers" bunch, so not sure about breeds, and that doesn't really matter to me)

I'm pretty sure that white and fair ones are pullets, but not 100% sure with darker ones. Any guesses? (the blue one was before "diagnosed" as a pullet here, and I hope she is girl, yet, I don't know why I still feel unsure. Maybe it's just because she's 2 weeks older than others, so she is a bit bigger, and maybe if she is more like an ameraucana than easter egger, there's difference to others. Although, that white one looks a lot like an ameraucana too, but "feels" more like a pullet. Hard to describe.

All four look like pullets to me. You have some pretty girls.

Based on their tails, I am guessing they are 9-10 weeks old with the blue then at 11 - 12. Size doesn't make it male, of my original now 3 Y/O girls, one BA was noticeably bigger with a rattier tail than the other starting at a few weeks old. Boy did I sweat!

Does the hatchery sell both EEs AND Ameraucanca? If so, they might have tossed in a true Ameraucana. If not they are all EEs. I'm not sure if any hatchery is really selling "purebred" Ameraucana but if they claim both, it could be.

Actually, the only one I think could be a cockerel is the "messy" looking one. The others are very evenly patterned and there is no hint of a comb on the blue so don't worry about her. No comb on any of the other three either and the "messy" one looks to not be a 3 row pea. Could be just a mix of color genes that is sorting itself out. Don't lose sleep yet and post more pictures of that one in a week or two.

Thank you so much! Well, they are not directly from any hatchery, but from MyPetChicken, where they say that they sell true ameraucana's. http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Day-Old-Baby-Chicks/Blue-Ameraucana-p1227.aspx I just ordered bunch of easter eggers and said I would take substitutes like Ameraucana or Favaucana (basically easter egger mix between faverolle & ameraucana), so I don't know if it's pure bred, but very much looking like that. :) Anyhow, I love all of these birds, so I really really hope they are going to turn into nice pullets.

I already have some rooster troubles, since my neighborhood doesn't allow crowing roosters in the neighborhood (crowing, so there might be a lupo, right?) and I'm waiting every morning when my polish(definitely rooster), silkie(maybe rooster) and cochin(maybe) cockerels are going to crow and I'll try to quiet them down with a no-crow collars, until I know what to do. :D

Thank you :)

(oops, I accidentaly double posted and apparently I don't know how to delete)

..so here's funny cat&chicken picture to make it more tolerable.

Last edited:
So here's my Easter Egger gang, (one might be an ameraucana, I ordered them as a "blue egg layers" bunch, so not sure about breeds, and that doesn't really matter to me) I'm pretty sure that white and fair ones are pullets, but not 100% sure with darker ones. Any guesses? (the blue one was before "diagnosed" as a pullet here, and I hope she is girl, yet, I don't know why I still feel unsure. Maybe it's just because she's 2 weeks older than others, so she is a bit bigger, and maybe if she is more like an ameraucana than easter egger, there's difference to others. Although, that white one looks a lot like an ameraucana too, but "feels" more like a pullet. Hard to describe.
All four are pullets, but they are also all Easter eggers. Even if they claim true, only Meyer hatchery sells purebred ameraucana. The blue has much too dark of a face to be true. A true ameraucana should have a pale tone to her face. A skin color tone. The white is also not true because the legs are green and the beak is yellow. Face skin tone of a true ameraucana. ( one of my lavender hens )

All four are pullets, but they are also all Easter eggers. Even if they claim true, only Meyer hatchery sells purebred ameraucana.
You might be right that she's an Easter Egger too, but just to be correct, MyPetChicken deliveres also baby chicks from Meyer Hatchery.

I thought she was Easter Egger before some other chicken enthuasiasts started to say she looks more like Ameraucana. The white one is clearly easter egger because of her willow legs. Blue one has correct slate color in the legs. But whatever :D she's just a pet chicken anyway.

...I'm thinking of buying true Ameraucana from Meyer and then post few pics of it and just watch how people yell it's an easter egger.
lau.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom