Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

I realize it is super early to know for sure but I'm having a hard time discerning this little one's fate. We are not allowed roosters in our city so I would hate for this little one to be a he. Any ideas? S/He is 3 weeks old as of Dec 7. No pink on the comb yet but shoulders are getting the ominous red tinge. -_- Please give me some good news so I can keep 'her'. ^_^

Unfortunately all 11 of the ones we had that had patchy red coming in on the wings at 4 weeks ended up roos :(

I personally have a hard time sexing RIR and NH..... I almost have to wait till they crow....
hide.gif

HMMMM This is my second time with EE chicks The first time they were sexed pullets these ones I just hatched. They are just babies so I know chances of knowing sex is extremely slim. There are 6, any guesses by down coloring alone?

The bottom 3 are the ones we plan to keep. Any idea if the yellow chipmunks turnout to be male or female. Also pure yellow ones above what are the male female chances on thoses.

HMMMM This is my second time with EE chicks The first time they were sexed pullets these ones I just hatched. They are just babies so I know chances of knowing sex is extremely slim. There are 6, any guesses by down coloring alone?

The bottom 3 are the ones we plan to keep. Any idea if the yellow chipmunks turnout to be male or female. Also pure yellow ones above what are the male female chances on thoses.
Some people can tell at an early age by watching their comb. If you see three rows (across), it is most likely a male. Single row across is most likely a female. It would be really hard to tell as such a young age.

Any thoughts on my 6 week old leghron/Ameraucana cross. Comb is pink and has grown a bit. No wattles to speak of. The other roos from this hatch were super apparent at 2-3 weeks old. This one definitely doesnt act like a roo either. Im still keeping my fingers crossed . . .

Any thoughts on my 6 week old leghron/Ameraucana cross. Comb is pink and has grown a bit. No wattles to speak of. The other roos from this hatch were super apparent at 2-3 weeks old. This one definitely doesnt act like a roo either. Im still keeping my fingers crossed . . .

I am sticking with pullet......

Any thoughts on my 6 week old leghorn/Ameraucana cross. Comb is pink and has grown a bit. No wattles to speak of. The other roos from this hatch were super apparent at 2-3 weeks old. This one definitely doesn't act like a roo either. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed . . .

The legs are not thick, not showing an upright roo stance. I'd go with girl, especially since the others were obvious cockerels at half her age. Watch for the red patches on the wings, hackle and saddle feathers. Sure is in that "ugly teen" stage isn't she? Looks like I do when I get up in the morning and should have had my hair cut a few weeks back
big_smile.png

Post back as she changes colors. I love all the changes and the "who the heck knows what it will look like as a grown bird" aspect of the EEs.

Bruce

Back
Top Bottom