Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

I'd love to get some opinions on my 9 week frizzle EE. The wattles developed early so I thought roo but the comb hasnt grown much. And no dark red patches on the wings.
hu.gif

She looks like mine. Mine developed redness and small wattles early, too, but she is now 17 weeks old and she still looks the same! Mine has some Polish in her I was told.

While moving my pullets to a new pen this morning, I started looking more closely at this "girl." All the cockerels in this batch were very easy to sex based on wing color, and I thought this one was a pullet. But on closer inspection, "she" isn't feathering the same (actually, her feathering is behind all the others, including the known cockerels), her legs are REALLY big, and, although her comb isn't pinking up yet like the other boys, it looks suspiciously wide. Please give me a second opinion, because if "she" is a "he," I need to put him in the cockerel pen ASAP. Many thanks!

Oh, and p.s. If this bird turns out to be male, that will make nine males and 4 females from my TSC straight run lot.
roll.png

While moving my pullets to a new pen this morning, I started looking more closely at this "girl." All the cockerels in this batch were very easy to sex based on wing color, and I thought this one was a pullet. But on closer inspection, "she" isn't feathering the same (actually, her feathering is behind all the others, including the known cockerels), her legs are REALLY big, and, although her comb isn't pinking up yet like the other boys, it looks suspiciously wide. Please give me a second opinion, because if "she" is a "he," I need to put him in the cockerel pen ASAP. Many thanks!

Oh, and p.s. If this bird turns out to be male, that will make nine males and 4 females from my TSC straight run lot.
roll.png

Yep, that's a little rooster!

Edited to add that I'm going on personal experience here. That comb is way too big and pink to be a pullet at that age (assuming that he's around 5 weeks or so, maybe I'm mistaken). Not to mention, that calico feathering is too splotchy to be a pullet. I had a slow developing cockerel that looked exactly like that, only he feathered faster. Here he is at 5 or 6 weeks:

He has almost no comb here, and it never got really big, but he did turn out to be a rooster.

Last edited:
Walkingonsunshine, I'd be suspicious that it's a slow-developing cockerel but I also think it's too soon to call yet since the most telling part of the wing hasn't filled in. I don't put much stock in feathering speed with mixed breeds. It's not an apples-to-apples comparison at all. But that comb is pretty masculine... How old is this chick?

Walkingonsunshine, I'd be suspicious that it's a slow-developing cockerel but I also think it's too soon to call yet since the most telling part of the wing hasn't filled in. I don't put much stock in feathering speed with mixed breeds. It's not an apples-to-apples comparison at all. But that comb is pretty masculine... How old is this chick?
He's seven weeks already. The others are all fully feathered and were sexed easily based on coloration and comb development. They all came from TSC, or from Mt. Healthy here in Ohio.

I've never bought straight run chicks before. I probably won't in the future. My four pullets that are left turned out to be pretty expensive per bird.

Back
Top Bottom