Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

I got a quick question or two. Can EE be feather-sexed? I got 7 about 2 weeks ago and they were feather sexed. Just asking cause I see that most of the ones were are sexed due to their coloring and features. Also, is it possible for full EEs to have feathers on their legs? I have 2 that have feathers down their legs. Not on the feet or toes just down the leg. Thank you for your help.
Where did you get them?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/292218/feather-sexing-young-chicks

You can't feather sex EEs.

Feather Sexing Chicks

Color sexing chicks can be a difficult task and is dependent upon the phenotype of the chick. If a chick does not have the correct down color, then you can not color sex the chick. There is a way of using another sex-linked trait to sex chicks based upon the size of the primary and secondary feathers on the wing of a newly hatched chick.

Feather sexing chicks can be accomplished by crossing males that are homozygous for rapid feather growth or carry two rapid feather growth alleles ( k+/k+) with females that are hemizygous or carry only one slow feather growth allele ( K/_W).

The female parent contributes a dominant gene for slow feather growth (K) to all the male offspring while the female offspring will inherit only one rapid feather growth allele ( k+) from the father. This cross produces males that have slow feather growth (K/k+) and females that have rapid feather growth (k+/_W).

The following site provides an excellent example of how to tell the difference between a rapid feathering female (pullet) chick and a slow feathering male (cockerel) chick. You have to examine the feathers on the wings of the newly hatched chick. Wait until the down dries and examine the wing feathers.

http://animalsciences.missouri.edu/reprod/ReproTech/Feathersex/sld006.htm

The table below contains some of the birds that can be crossed to produce chicks that can be feather sexed.

Any of the males in the table, can be crossed with any of the females in the table to produce offspring that can be feather sexed. If you purchased your birds from a hatchery, check with the hatchery to see if the hatchery feather sexed the birds you purchased. If your stock was feather sexed, then the chickens can not be used for feather sexing crosses.

13371_sexfaether.jpg

I got a quick question or two. Can EE be feather-sexed? I got 7 about 2 weeks ago and they were feather sexed. Just asking cause I see that most of the ones were are sexed due to their coloring and features. Also, is it possible for full EEs to have feathers on their legs? I have 2 that have feathers down their legs. Not on the feet or toes just down the leg. Thank you for your help.

About having feathered legs, yes they can. Remember, EEs are not an actual breed, so you can't really have a "full EE." Ameraucanas that are mixed or simply do not meet the standard are considered EE. Your chickens must have had a feathered legged parent (or grandparent).

I have to wonder if any breed of hatchery birds could be used for creating wing sexable chicks? Every hatchery chick I've had has feathered pretty quickly. The EEs were just plain FAST, male and female, and the slowest was the Sussex but more average than slow.

Can someone please help me sex my Easter Egger ? I really appreciate your help. She/he is 10 weeks old

2ume2u2a.jpg

azu4yte7.jpg

eqy5yny4.jpg

Compared to siblings
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/06/ra5umu9e.jpg[/IMG

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm about to give one of my little EE babies to a neighbor and want to check the sex one more time. The last opinions I received said pullet and after reading this thread I think so too. I just want to be sure before I give her to my friend. There isnt any red on the wings and the saddle feathers arent pointed. It is the three rows on the comb that makes me wonder. However, the comb is not that much larger than the other one. What do you think?
9 weeks old and it is the darker one. Poor thing hurt its beak when my dog scared it. :-(
[/IMG]

I'm about to give one of my little EE babies to a neighbor and want to check the sex one more time. The last opinions I received said pullet and after reading this thread I think so too. I just want to be sure before I give her to my friend. There isnt any red on the wings and the saddle feathers arent pointed. It is the three rows on the comb that makes me wonder. However, the comb is not that much larger than the other one. What do you think?
9 weeks old and it is the darker one. Poor thing hurt its beak when my dog scared it. :-(
[/URL]

This may be a pullet, comb is small for a cockerel at 9 weeks. I would hold off on this one and keep waiting, looks like you could have a girl unless this is a very slow developing boy.

Back
Top Bottom