Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

darn it!!so hoped Walle was male, looks like I shop for a roo
It's not often someone here is disappointed to have all pullets! Shouldn't be hard to find an unwanted cockerel. I suggest checking the "Where are you/Where am I" section for your local thread. I know I could ask on mine and have dozens of "free to good home" choices from the local breeders/hatchers/etc.

Last edited:
well I have 12 girls now unless someone surprises me n ends up a too, have Black jersey giants,EEs,n Plymouth Rock, not have all the abbreviations memorized yet

oh n thank you! I will check come spring for a cockerel on the thread,they just moved to new coop n its not ready yet for them to meet new flock members

Sharkie is 10 wks old...

Thanks I hope you are right for the pullet vote...
And maybe their huge size has to do with allllllll the treats my little ones get;-) eggs, meal worms lots of apples pears, melon, berries. I don't know are the big?? I have no other reference ....what do you guys
think....

To me, the body shape and pattern look more like a hen. Can you tell if the tail feathers look iridescent? Some of them do look long and curvy and shiny in those pictures above.  If they do, then your chicken is probably a boy.

Those are HUGE for 10 weeks! :th

Eva is the only one with iridescent feathers, n she lays a green egg daily. just had hopes up for Walle. oh well I must shop for one come spring. my entire flock is 7 months old.

Eva is the only one with iridescent feathers, n she lays a green egg daily. just had hopes up for Walle. oh well I must shop for one come spring. my entire flock is 7 months old.
My 5 EEs are now 6 months and still no eggs. Getting impatient here...

Last edited:

A 7-month cockerel would look very, very different from a pullet. Nearly all are crowing/mounting/acting like roosters by then and they'd have draping, pointy feathers in the neck and saddle areas. BTW, females can be quite iridescent; it's not a male trait. Males generally have more iridescence/sheen but unless you have both, it might not be easy to see the difference.

Ladies and gentlemen my silver ee whose sex was in question just squatted for me!!! I am so excited. And oddly enough I have an orange colored egg today as well....hooray!

Back
Top Bottom