Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

aoxa, that is great! Have you written an article using these pics? It would make a great reference.
Not an article yet, but I did start a thread.

I have to admit, I am quite addicted to sexing chickens by appearances. I am not into feather sexing day olds, or vent sexing - as I breed my own birds and feather sexing is very precise. You have to keep two lines of chickens, using fast feathering males and slow feathering females. Since I have no idea how to determine if the birds I presently have are fast feathering or slow feathering, I'll stick with the visual sexing guides only ;)

Also, vent sexing.. Just don't feel comfortable with it personally.

Comb Sexing:

click to enlarge
Single combs (note wattle buds in 3 week old male to the right) Males pink up early, where females often times stay peachy until they are older.

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

Leg Width:

click to enlarge
Leg Width Sexing does not work for all breeds.. Naked Necks are especially easy to sex this way (at least my line).

Colour Sexing

click to enlarge

click to enlarge

If you are buying birds over 12 weeks at a sale, check out these very clear differences between mature cockerels and pullets:

click to enlarge
(Note: Not all hens will have 'small' combs, but they will always almost always be smaller than the rooster's.)

I hope this helps you in your sexing attempts.

If anyone has any clear pictures of breeds that can be colour sexed that I have not already included in this post, and would like me to edit and share in this article, I'd be grateful. I would love to have a collection of images for others to reference back to when trying to sex their own birds, or trying to help others.

Feel free to repost any of these images so long as they are not edited in any way.

Man, oh man - I wish I knew how you guys take such awesome chicken photos! I've spent half the day chasing this little bugger around, and couldn't get a single outdoor shot.

he.gif

Anyhow, it was suggested that I repost the Mystery Chick at 8 weeks, so here s/he is (and please forgive the terrible color; they were all taken in th barn, where the light is pretty much nonexistent on an overcast day):

Man, oh man - I wish I knew how you guys take such awesome chicken photos! I've spent half the day chasing this little bugger around, and couldn't get a single outdoor shot.

he.gif

Anyhow, it was suggested that I repost the Mystery Chick at 8 weeks, so here s/he is (and please forgive the terrible color; they were all taken in th barn, where the light is pretty much nonexistent on an overcast day):

Looks just like my EE hen except mine has green/gray legs. Your hen has beard and muff and pea comb. That means she's an EE. One of her non EE parents must have had yellow legs.

Actually, his/her legs are almost white at this point (???) but that wasn't the question.

I just want to know if it's a girl or a boy!

Oh! I just realized you said "her legs" and "hen." Awesome.
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom