Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Man, oh man - I wish I knew how you guys take such awesome chicken photos! I've spent half the day chasing this little bugger around, and couldn't get a single outdoor shot.

he.gif

Anyhow, it was suggested that I repost the Mystery Chick at 8 weeks, so here s/he is (and please forgive the terrible color; they were all taken in th barn, where the light is pretty much nonexistent on an overcast day):

As far as photos, try to give them a treat they can eat from your one hand while you snap a few closeups with the other, or put feed right in front of you and wait for them to look up:) That's what I do anyway.
big_smile.png

In regard to gender, that chicks comb looks really red for 8 weeks. I can't see if it has 1 main row of peas or 3 rows of peas on the comb for the picture. If it has 3 main rows all equally big, then I say rooster, if it has only one really clear row of peas on the comb I'd say hen. Here look at the difference in the combs of my 8 week old rooster ( middle gray one and the hen of the same age on the right.) Is there any way to get more of a front shot of your chicky's comb?

I'd say my bird's comb is definitely one row. Close up it looks like your pullet's - a pointy triangle rather than a raised oblong like your roo's. (That bodes well, right?) But yes, it is quite bright in real life. That's the part that has me baffled: everything but that color is very girly.

I'll try to get a better picture tomorrow, though I'm apparently too klutzy to feed treats and snap photos at the same time. I tried this, and all I got were close-ups of chicken butts and expanses of empty grass!

roll.png

Do you have a feeling about the gender one way or the other?

My feeling is that s/he's a hen, but I don't really trust my own opinion. I bought my other EEs as POL pullets, so what do I know?

And thanks to you both! The suspense on this is just killing me.

Last edited:
I'd say my bird's comb is definitely one row. Close up it looks like your pullet's - a pointy triangle rather than a raised oblong like your roo's. (That bodes well, right?) But yes, it is quite bright in real life. That's the part that has me baffled: everything but that color is very girly.

I'll try to get a better picture tomorrow, though I'm apparently too klutzy to feed treats and snap photos at the same time. I tried this, and all I got were close-ups of chicken butts and expanses of empty grass!

roll.png

My feeling is that s/he's a hen, but I don't really trust my own opinion. I bought my other EEs as POL pullets, so what do I know?

It is probably a pullet ( I'd give it a 78% chance IMHO) I have one like that too... it is 12 weeks old and has a single bright red comb, hen, body and hen coloring...so yeah there is always a "shim" in the mix that keeps you guessing right up till it crows or lays an egg:)
Here, check out my "shim"... (it is the black and gold one) comb really red, but girly in every other way ...I too am dying from the suspense
fl.gif

see...compared to the rooster... almost as red, but single row...

I guess we'll have to be patient
tongue.gif

roll.png

My white EE also has really bright red single comb just like yours. I thought it was a roo for a long time, but it turned out to be a girl. The body shape and posture of your EE is that of a hen, so I am pretty sure it's a hen. Please post again if it turns out to be a boy.

Well, chicken math struck yesterday and I came home with a Silkie/EE cross roo (he's so cute and takes himself so seriously...I wanted him for the alarm should a dog get in my coop again) and a cute little white thing that is probably a pullet (daddy was a Blue Orpington, and she came from a pen of about 20 very mixed colored EEish hens including some blues, so I think s/he might be splash?).

Anyway, light was fading and s/he was moving fast, so this was the best photo I could get yesterday:

S/he has a pea comb with one row and it's VERY peach colored, and hardly any wattles to speak of. Even if it turns out it's a rooster, I'll keep it -- I wanted to expand my flock of brown egg layers into some EEers anyway!

Last edited:
Well, chicken math struck yesterday and I came home with a Silkie/EE cross roo (he's so cute and takes himself so seriously...I wanted him for the alarm should a dog get in my coop again) and a cute little white thing that is probably a pullet (daddy was a Blue Orpington, and she came from a pen of about 20 very mixed colored EEish hens including some blues, so I think s/he might be splash?).

Anyway, light was fading and s/he was moving fast, so this was the best photo I could get yesterday:

S/he has a pea comb with one row and it's VERY peach colored, and hardly any wattles to speak of. Even if it turns out it's a rooster, I'll keep it -- I wanted to expand my flock of brown egg layers into some EEers anyway!
How old?

I'd call this colour paint before splash :)

Back
Top Bottom