Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

we have eggs in the incubator! one started to pip. we have a EE roo and 2 black copper maran hens, 1 splash maran, and one rir/cuckoo maran. what kind of chicks should we expect and what color eggs will any hens lay? will these chicks be considered easter eggers? thanks!
They will be Easter Eggers because any "Ameraucana" type birds that are crosses or just don't fit the breed descriptions are Easter Eggers. Specifically yours should be Olive Eggers.

yaaay! thanks so much! and came home from doctors with a baby hatched!!
wee.gif

we have eggs in the incubator! one started to pip. we have a EE roo and 2 black copper maran hens, 1 splash maran, and one rir/cuckoo maran. what kind of chicks should we expect and what color eggs will any hens lay? will these chicks be considered easter eggers? thanks!
Do you know what color egg your roo hatched from?
If green or blue, you should have Olive Eggers with those breeds of hens as mamas!

My husband and I have been discussing the idea of getting an incubator. I have a lavender Americauna roo. His color alone makes him an EE, but add the straight comb and he is all EE! I chose him with these things. I like the straight comb. I wasn't planning to breed. Now, I am wondering about a cross with my black Australorp, or one of my white rocks. Also the lavendar with the splash Wyandotte. From what I have read here I think I would get green eggs from all these, the closest to blue might be the Wyandotte cross as they have the lightest color eggs. Cecil (my roo) had a hatch mate that was exactly the same, except the three row pea comb. I didn't take him as the owner was looking to breed. He is bearded, and has very little tail.
Thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

My husband and I have been discussing the idea of getting an incubator. I have a lavender Americauna roo. His color alone makes him an EE, but add the straight comb and he is all EE! I chose him with these things. I like the straight comb. I wasn't planning to breed. Now, I am wondering about a cross with my black Australorp, or one of my white rocks. Also the lavendar with the splash Wyandotte. From what I have read here I think I would get green eggs from all these, the closest to blue might be the Wyandotte cross as they have the lightest color eggs. Cecil (my roo) had a hatch mate that was exactly the same, except the three row pea comb. I didn't take him as the owner was looking to breed. He is bearded, and has very little tail.
Thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

Since he has a straight comb, there is a good chance he is not carrying the gene for blue shells. (Unless the breeder was crossing in something like Cream Legbars.) Those two genes (pea comb and blue shells) are located very close together on Ameraucana chromosomes and are usually passed on together. It's not 100%, but without the blue shell gene, the chicks from the crosses you are thinking about will lay various shades of brown. Unfortunately the only way to find out if your male has the blue gene is to breed him and see what you get.

Greetings,

I have been reading threads about sexing my EEs for a while and still can not make up my mind on this red one. s/he is about 10.5 weeks. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom