Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Can you guys help me with my EEs? Almost 3 weeks old...
Chick 1

Chick 2

Chick 3

Chick 4

Chick 5

Chick 6

Chick 7

(6 and 7 are leghorn amaracauna mix)
Chick8

Ill put more pics when they get a bit older. Thanks tho!

Those were the ones I thought for sure also. Thanks! I will get better pictures in a few days. The lighting is bad here. Around how many weeks will I know for sure? I figured I'd just be able to tell in june when they are 6 months old lol on a few of them I can count the rows on their combs but others not. I think the darker ones are hens and the leghorns are easy

I bought 5 Bantam chicks from a women getting rid of a few. I am pretty sure they are roo's Here is the EE, 6-8 wks old, I got, wanting a hen. Do you think it's a rooster, also? It's starting to get red tipped feathers on the back of the neck, other wise it's completely slate colored. It's very sweet.

I guess I should clarify - if the bird has a lot of white, but with orange in the shoulders especially - male. If it has a black chest but orange or red in the neck, shoulders, etc - it is male.

If it has an orange breast and orange everywhere else too like Munk - Female. Especially if it is solid brown/orange with black stripes, female. Unless the breast starts to develop black.
Actually, I've had females that matched your description of males here before. One was a really good layer. Are you going by just your own experience or what? Is there a source that you've found this description?

I guess I should clarify - if the bird has a lot of white, but with orange in the shoulders especially - male. If it has a black chest but orange or red in the neck, shoulders, etc - it is male.

If it has an orange breast and orange everywhere else too like Munk - Female. Especially if it is solid brown/orange with black stripes, female. Unless the breast starts to develop black.

Actually, I've had females that matched your description of males here before. One was a really good layer. Are you going by just your own experience or what? Is there a source that you've found this description?

Jaded, those are classic hatchery EE traits that Illia was pointing out. They have been my experiences as well. If you have/had a bird that doesn't match the traits, post a photo and we'll add it to our knowledge base! The trick with some of the EE sexing is that it only works with hatchery-bred EEs... if you breed your own by mixing Ameraucanas and other birds, they don't follow these same rules.

Can you guys help me with my EEs? Almost 3 weeks old...
Chick 1

Chick 2

Chick 3

Chick 4
Chick 5
Chick 6
Chick 7

(6 and 7 are leghorn amaracauna mix)
Chick8

Ill put more pics when they get a bit older. Thanks tho!
Based on the comb size, most look like roos, except for chick 1 and 2. I can't see the comb of chick 6 so no guess on that one. But at three weeks old, they are really too young to be sure. I do agree with HeartMoss, chicks 3 and 7 are roos.

I bought 5 Bantam chicks from a women getting rid of a few. I am pretty sure they are roo's Here is the EE, 6-8 wks old, I got, wanting a hen. Do you think it's a rooster, also? It's starting to get red tipped feathers on the back of the neck, other wise it's completely slate colored. It's very sweet.

It looks like a 3-row comb. I am leaning roo, too. More time is needed to be sure.

Based on the comb size, most look like roos, except for chick 1 and 2. I can't see the comb of chick 6 so no guess on that one. But at three weeks old, they are really too young to be sure. I do agree with HeartMoss, chicks 3 and 7 are roos.

Oh no! I hope your wrong lol I want at least 4 pullets! Are you going by comb or color? Today they are exactly 4 weeks. In a few days ill get better pictures

Back
Top Bottom