Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

So, what's the earliest age u can tell any of this stuff? Lol I just got 2 more babies, I will not be able to keep any cockerels and I'm starting to get attached to both! :(

It's really hard to sex them when they are less than 3 weeks old. Look for fast tail feather development, it will usually be a pullet. After they are 3 or more weeks old, look at their comb. Males have three rows of bumps. Some EE's tend to "change" their sex sometimes lol

Can anyone confirm for me if these two EE's are cockerels? Based on everything I've read here, I think they are . . . but, I don't know enough to trust myself yet :) I'd hate to rehome them and be wrong. They were hatched 2/2. Thanks!

EE #1

EE #2

Can anyone confirm for me if these two EE's are cockerels? Based on everything I've read here, I think they are . . . but, I don't know enough to trust myself yet :) I'd hate to rehome them and be wrong. They were hatched 2/2. Thanks!

EE #1

EE #2

I feel pretty confident calling male on both these guys.

I
It's really hard to sex them when they are less than 3 weeks old. Look for fast tail feather development, it will usually be a pullet. After they are 3 or more weeks old, look at their comb. Males have three rows of bumps. Some EE's tend to "change" their sex sometimes lol
purchased 2 chicks from a farm store nearby. They should be the same age. 1 is much bigger than the other and has 3 rows of wing feathers while the other only has 2. That same one is also beginning to get tail feathers. So ur post makes me think that one may be a pullet. But I try to remember, the store could be wrong. They may have come at different times.

They are only just over a week old, so not showing for sexing yet. Just showing off my cuties. Lol

Check OUt this little gal/guy. As an EE chick it was bluish, grey and black. Now that's it's feathering , it's black and white. No red /brown yet. Comb looks to have 3 rows, but so did another female EE that we had at this age....and she's definitely a hen. The shoulder feathers have not fully emerged-you can see the pin. feathers. Boy or girl?

EE #1

EE #2

Both look like males to me, but it's a guess. By 8 weeks you should be very sure.

Check OUt this little gal/guy. As an EE chick it was bluish, grey and black. Now that's it's feathering , it's black and white. No red /brown yet. Comb looks to have 3 rows, but so did another female EE that we had at this age....and she's definitely a hen. The shoulder feathers have not fully emerged-you can see the pin. feathers. Boy or girl?

I vote cockerel because of the comb and the patchy white on the wings. The black and white EEs are tricky though.

(I'm assuming it's around 4 weeks old.)

I also vote boy. The color is very patchy compared to the b&w hen I had, plus the comb is wide and turning pink already.

The b&w one looks like my girl Rexy! She had me worried a few times but she is definitely a girl! I won't say either way for that reason. Yours does have a lot of pink, but so did Rex...

Back
Top Bottom