Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

PolarBearPilot, we have 2, a silver laced polish and a white crested black polish. Everyone who comes over LOVES them and they're hysterical to watch.

Penny Hen, they do have the same features. Your's is so beautiful!!

Hello! Quick ee gender question! I've found a few pages online about sexing them by the ridges on their combs and I'm wondering if anyone knows for sure if that's correct? I know red/orange patches of feathers are an indicator of a roo and of course just waiting it out but Im curious about one of mine that I bought as a pullet. It has three very obvious ridges and is just a bit pink (barely, but i can notice it)whereas the other 4 definitely have only one ridge and still yellow. The one in question is the biggest of 5, also has rust colored feathers coming in around its neck and chest area but so does its "twin" that has one ridge on its comb. I read that roos feather out slower than pullets but this one has just as many or more than the others. It's got me curious! It would be wonderful if there's a chance it is a roo! They're only 3 weeks old, so I know its still early, but I'm hoping there's some people who are old hands at this and know if the comb difference is an old wives tale or not! I'll put some pics on here so you can see them...Thanks in advance!

The bottom ones are the "twin" and one of the others just as a comparison of their combs...

you can see the color similarities, but this ones much paler.

I don't put much stock in baby comb appearance because a rose - pea cross produces a comb that on an immature bird can look very much like the "wide comb" suggesting male. And then there are cockerels with a single combed parent sporting an obvious center ridge, nothing more until it starts to develop, so people mistake them for pullets. Most of the males show themselves in the 4-8 week range. Hang in there.

I don't put much stock in baby comb appearance because a rose - pea cross produces a comb that on an immature bird can look very much like the "wide comb" suggesting male. And then there are cockerels with a single combed parent sporting an obvious center ridge, nothing more until it starts to develop, so people mistake them for pullets. Most of the males show themselves in the 4-8 week range. Hang in there.

I knew that comb trick was too good to be true! Lol. I'll just cross my fingers then and hope for a roo! Thanks!

Who wants to take a guess? I am saying boy, both my other EEs have long wing feathers and tails and a single pea comb. This little guy has stubby lithe wing feather, no tail feathers, and three row pea comb. It is 2-3 weeks old.

Update on "Harold"- here are pics of him at 7 weeks:

I believe he even attempted a crow this morning, it was pretty funny. Will be looking for a home for him sooner than I thought.

Is this the 3 rows Y'all are referring to...These two are from an ee hen and ee/cochin mix. One has the 3 rows of bumps and the other has one long line...They're almost 3 weeks

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom