Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Rachel I too am curious about the sex of your chick. One of mine seems to be feathering out similar to yours. Only mine I dont think will have white spots on the wings. Mine is at the bottom of page 512, does the lighter one resemble yours at that age?

Rachel82, 100% cockerel on that one. The white wing patch is the silver version of the dark red patch you see here so often.

Rachel I too am curious about the sex of your chick. One of mine seems to be feathering out similar to yours. Only mine I dont think will have white spots on the wings. Mine is at the bottom of page 512, does the lighter one resemble yours at that age?
Your chick is more striped than mine, and from the pictures id say female. The patterning seems much more consistent on your chick. I have two that are very similar to that one and they are very much female. I also heard, and would love to know if it's true, that the eyeliner is more consistent with female. Maybe you could post a new picture of yours to see how much she has changed?

Rachel82, 100% cockerel on that one. The white wing patch is the silver version of the dark red patch you see here so often.

Good to know! It is just SO different from the other 3 that are definitely female! Also, he is very into the chest bumping the other chicks...I noticed that today and yesterday when he was doing this that his neck feathers stood straight out. I have only seen this white my other rooster...never with my hens. Do only the boys do this as well??

Good to know! It is just SO different from the other 3 that are definitely female! Also, he is very into the chest bumping the other chicks...I noticed that today and yesterday when he was doing this that his neck feathers stood straight out. I have only seen this white my other rooster...never with my hens. Do only the boys do this as well??

No, I've had grown hens flare and charge as well as many a chick. Shoot, my dominant hen jumps on backs when her leadership is questioned! Behavior alone is never a great indicator but when combined with other things, it certainly makes him seem more roosterish.

My 3 new girls. 2 are EE one is a GLW I am wondering about the sex of the 2 EEs (and the GLW too if anyone can tell at this age) All 3 are supposed to be pullets. These pics are from last friday when I picked them up. They were supposed to be 4 weeks but i think are turning 4 weeks this week.

I think this one will stay brown.

the middle one is my GLW, but shows the comb and heads of the EEs

This one has the dark wings but seems to be feathering in mostly white. Getting more and more white feathers on its chest.
It is a bit early to be sure so these are just my guesses. Based on the even feather coloring, your brown one looks more like a pullet. Your black and white, however, still has chick fuzz on the head, which is sometimes the case for cockerels. If it's a he, then the feather coloring will start to be more blotchy. As for the brown one, if it's a girl, the even feather coloring will stay.

These 2 were supposed to be sex links but now I have no clue.

Roo? EE?

LOLOLOL.............you said it !!! I got the blue-kote and put it on him. He's back in the cage with the others.. They knew there was something on his neck though. They would try to peck it but then shake their head and looked like the tried to wipe it in the grass. Even he would reach down than play with it.. But you can sure tell which ones peck.....their beak has a blue tip. (of course my fingers are blue also!! We will see how it works...I think he's a little cockrel the way he acts...He will peck back and he and another chick face off sometimes. Thank you for the advice. Now I will keep it on hand. But next time, I will wear gloves for sure...LOL
I have permanently purple spaces on one of my roosts where the bird was standing when I put it on her foot and she shook it. (shaking head). Gloves are good.

Back
Top Bottom