Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Okay, I put off asking because I was hoping that after studying this thread long enough the answer would hit me - like a bolt out of the blue! But I give up. Please, is Pearl a girl, or will I lose my joy because she's a boy? Pictures taken between 9 and 10 weeks. I also have another that I'm not sure of, Gladys, but she can wait for another day.

Sorry, didn't realize this one was so blurry until after I posted it. Thanks for your help!
I would say pullet. She is pretty!

I got this chick from someone who won it from a feed store and couldn't keep it. I think I know what the other 2 chicks are that came with it, but this one is driving me nuts. I've had a few people on here tell me its a beardless, cheekless EE Rooster, but it has yellow legs. I have EEs and they are all bearded, slate or green legs and puffy cheeks.

Do you guys think this is an EE

I think it could be an EE without the beard/muffs. Since they are mixed breed these odd ones can appear every so often. One way to tell would be if it doesn't develop much in the way of wattles. I'm trying to think of other breeds with a pea or rose comb. Wyandotte? There are breeds that have rose combs as a less common variety (Leghorn, RIR) but it really doesn't look like anything I can think of. Whatever it is, it certainly looks to be a cockerel. Hope you post updates as it matures.

I think it could be an EE without the beard/muffs. Since they are mixed breed these odd ones can appear every so often. One way to tell would be if it doesn't develop much in the way of wattles. I'm trying to think of other breeds with a pea or rose comb. Wyandotte? There are breeds that have rose combs as a less common variety (Leghorn, RIR) but it really doesn't look like anything I can think of. Whatever it is, it certainly looks to be a cockerel. Hope you post updates as it matures.

Thanks everyone. Sad if its a Cockerel because I won't be able to keep him, and he's already been re-homed twice, I'm his 3rd home. The person who originally won them gave them to her sister, which then I got them from. LOL Poor little guy.

Okay, I put off asking because I was hoping that after studying this thread long enough the answer would hit me - like a bolt out of the blue! But I give up. Please, is Pearl a girl, or will I lose my joy because she's a boy? Pictures taken between 9 and 10 weeks. I also have another that I'm not sure of, Gladys, but she can wait for another day. Sorry, didn't realize this one was so blurry until after I posted it. Thanks for your help!
Okay, I put off asking because I was hoping that after studying this thread long enough the answer would hit me - like a bolt out of the blue! But I give up. Please, is Pearl a girl, or will I lose my joy because she's a boy? Pictures taken between 9 and 10 weeks. I also have another that I'm not sure of, Gladys, but she can wait for another day. Sorry, didn't realize this one was so blurry until after I posted it. Thanks for your help!
she looks like a pullet with some very interesting colors in her very partridge patterning.

So, this is Hazel (?) - who is 9 weeks old - I am starting to kind of wonder about "her" because of the color developing the brown is new w/in the last couple of weeks - definitely not as rusty or pronounced as is on her brother - maybe I'm over thinking it and seeing something that isn't there? I'd really like to have at least two of our EE stay girls, lol -- at least I have no doubt about Aeren

This is a pretty accurate visual of the color - more golden than brown, but ............

Blooie, I believe you have a pullet. The "red" is more brown than red and the patterning continues through those feathers. Interesting coloration, I'd love to see her as an adult.

I got this chick from someone who won it from a feed store and couldn't keep it. I think I know what the other 2 chicks are that came with it, but this one is driving me nuts. I've had a few people on here tell me its a beardless, cheekless EE Rooster, but it has yellow legs. I have EEs and they are all bearded, slate or green legs and puffy cheeks. Do you guys think this is an EE
I think it's a poorly bred gold laced Wyandotte. I'd also wager it's male but time will tell.

I think it's a poorly bred gold laced Wyandotte. I'd also wager it's male but time will tell.

I thought it was a Silician Buttercup or a Golden Laced Wyandotte when I first saw pictures of them. Someone else had them for the first 2 weeks, and I just saw the photos of them. We had to work out a chicken train to get them to me. But once I got them, I knew for sure it wasn't a SB. Who knows.

So, this is Hazel (?) - who is 9 weeks old - I am starting to kind of wonder about "her" because of the color developing the brown is new w/in the last couple of weeks - definitely not as rusty or pronounced as is on her brother - maybe I'm over thinking it and seeing something that isn't there? I'd really like to have at least two of our EE stay girls, lol -- at least I have no doubt about Aeren This is a pretty accurate visual of the color - more golden than brown, but ............
Pullet.. And sooo pretty!!!! I'm in love with her coloring!!

Pullet.. And sooo pretty!!!! I'm in love with her coloring!!

Really? Yay - DD will be so happy - the EE's are "her" chickens (of course this fall I'll be left with "her" chickens, "her" horse, "her" cat and "her" dog when she goes off to college, lol) and she'd hate to end up with 2 of 3 being roos. It has been so much fun to watch the colors of the EEs develop - three chicks that started out so similar in appearance and are ending up SO different.

Back
Top Bottom