Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

I'm just joining this forum because I, too, just realized that at least one of my "girls" is actually a roo. I am afraid I might have a second one (and hopefully not a third!). This is my first-ever flock and I was told at the local farm/feed store where I bought them that they were all pullets. I'm not really upset that they aren't, just was not expecting this change.

So, if I can get the photos posted - well, here they are and y'all can tell me if more than just the black/white/colored one is a roo.

This red started out as a mostly yellow-downed chick with a couple black streaks on her head. I've named her "Buffy."

This is "Cordelia" whom I will be re-naming "Spike" since I found out she's a he!

This is "Willow". Her tail feathers are much longer than the last three chickens, with whom she shares more of a similar color-pattern with.

Here's a group shot of my whole flock.

They are 12-13 weeks old in these photos.

Let me know what you think about Buffy and Willow. Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm just joining this forum because I, too, just realized that at least one of my "girls" is actually a roo. I am afraid I might have a second one (and hopefully not a third!). This is my first-ever flock and I was told at the local farm/feed store where I bought them that they were all pullets. I'm not really upset that they aren't, just was not expecting this change.

So, if I can get the photos posted - well, here they are and y'all can tell me if more than just the black/white/colored one is a roo.

This red started out as a mostly yellow-downed chick with a couple black streaks on her head. I've named her "Buffy."

This is "Cordelia" whom I will be re-naming "Spike" since I found out she's a he!

This is "Willow". Her tail feathers are much longer than the last three chickens, with whom she shares more of a similar color-pattern with.

Only the first two are roosters (buffy & spike)

Last edited:
Dog-gone-it! I had a feeling Buffy would end up a boy, too, since "she" was growing a comb at the same rate as Spike. Phooey! I'm running out of layers! LOL Guess "Buffy" can become "Giles."

Who wants to vote on the re-naming?

Xander
Rupert (Giles)
Angel

:p

Last edited:
Here's the flock at about a week or so of age. Could they have been told apart that early?

I think they're about six weeks old here:

Just wondered if I should have known earlier.

Here's the flock at about a week or so of age. Could they have been told apart that early?

I think they're about six weeks old here:

Just wondered if I should have known earlier.
Buffy is too big, his red feathers are vivid (pullets are more dull red) the tail is slightly curved.

Spike has red on his wing shoulders which only roosters have. And I think only males can have a white, red, and black pattern.

You see how all of them look the same except the 2 you now know to be boys. Prettier, flashier, shinier brighter colored the ones I'm always the most attracted to are the males. Always!!!

nancie35us- I can't help much with the gender questions for your EE (I have the same questions with my 8wk old EE's right now). But I just wanted to say I loved the "Buffy" names! I'd go with Angelus, unless he's real mellow, then stick with Angel. :)

Spike is Just Beautiful! Wow what a gorgeous little man!

Buffy is too big, his red feathers are vivid (pullets are more dull red) the tail is slightly curved.

Spike has red on his wing shoulders which only roosters have. And I think only males can have a white, red, and black pattern.

I agree. Buffy may have to be renamed to .... Angel? Giles?

Back
Top Bottom