Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Nancie35us, no, you cannot tell when they are puffballs. Hatcheries hire folks to physically examine their innards (it's called "vent sexing") looking for the tiniest little nub. Sometimes they miss it. But, no matter what you might hear to the contrary, there isn't anything else that's the least bit reliable at that stage. And, the others nailed it, Buffy and Spike are males. No worries about Willow's tail; it's not uncommon to get one that looks a bit Leghorn in build.

Oh, and I could tell in the six weeks pictures but there is a learning curve involved.

Last edited:
I'm just joining this forum because I, too, just realized that at least one of my "girls" is actually a roo. I am afraid I might have a second one (and hopefully not a third!). This is my first-ever flock and I was told at the local farm/feed store where I bought them that they were all pullets. I'm not really upset that they aren't, just was not expecting this change.

So, if I can get the photos posted - well, here they are and y'all can tell me if more than just the black/white/colored one is a roo.

This red started out as a mostly yellow-downed chick with a couple black streaks on her head. I've named her "Buffy."

This is "Cordelia" whom I will be re-naming "Spike" since I found out she's a he!

This is "Willow". Her tail feathers are much longer than the last three chickens, with whom she shares more of a similar color-pattern with.

Here's a group shot of my whole flock.

They are 12-13 weeks old in these photos.

Let me know what you think about Buffy and Willow. Thanks!
Nice birds...
One of the things I love about the EEs is their patterns, and there are definite repeating patterns, there is a wildness to them, the obvious hens in the pictures remind me of JF hen patterns.

Thank you, everyone. I agree with Spike being a real beauty!

"Buffy" isn't quite as "alpha" as Spike is, but I like the "Angelus" take on the name ... we might go with that! I definitely couldn't do "Xander" as that's too wimpy for a roo! LOL

I noticed that the two of them grew faster than the rest, and started getting their combs sooner. I just never put it all together. I guess I just trusted that, when I was told I'd purchased all pullets, that that is what I got. Now I'll just have to get a couple more hens to add to the flock later.

The boys won't fight a lot, will they? Will they fight over the hens? Will I need to consider separating them at some point?

Thank you, everyone. I agree with Spike being a real beauty!

"Buffy" isn't quite as "alpha" as Spike is, but I like the "Angelus" take on the name ... we might go with that! I definitely couldn't do "Xander" as that's too wimpy for a roo! LOL

I noticed that the two of them grew faster than the rest, and started getting their combs sooner. I just never put it all together. I guess I just trusted that, when I was told I'd purchased all pullets, that that is what I got. Now I'll just have to get a couple more hens to add to the flock later.

The boys won't fight a lot, will they? Will they fight over the hens? Will I need to consider separating them at some point?
It is possible. Not sure if they will too much since they've grown up together. They most likely will fight some just to see who is more dominant. I am keeping two of my EE cockerels from this year, and I will just separate them as they get a little older.

I'm just joining this forum because I, too, just realized that at least one of my "girls" is actually a roo. I am afraid I might have a second one (and hopefully not a third!). This is my first-ever flock and I was told at the local farm/feed store where I bought them that they were all pullets. I'm not really upset that they aren't, just was not expecting this change.

So, if I can get the photos posted - well, here they are and y'all can tell me if more than just the black/white/colored one is a roo.

This red started out as a mostly yellow-downed chick with a couple black streaks on her head. I've named her "Buffy."

This is "Cordelia" whom I will be re-naming "Spike" since I found out she's a he!

Both of your boys are very unusual in their coloring, especially Buffy. I don't recall seeing an (almost) all red EE rooster before. Spike is very flashy, but I personally like the look of Buffy more. Hopefully they both will get along and have good temperament.

It is possible. Not sure if they will too much since they've grown up together. They most likely will fight some just to see who is more dominant. I am keeping two of my EE cockerels from this year, and I will just separate them as they get a little older.
maybe buffy is just thoughtful and smart and you should consider Giles.

I have a boy colored like spike too...

I think it is one of the prettiest cockerels I have had at least out my way

Last edited:
I like the black and white mix, too. I also like how "Buffy" stayed mostly red.

I didn't think my husband would have an opinion on the names, but when I offered "Rupert" (Giles' first name), he liked that. I think it does fit better, since "Buffy" wasn't ever a really aggressive bird at all. Maybe he thinks he's a hen? LOL

Only the first two are roosters (buffy & spike)
Ditto!
Here's the flock at about a week or so of age. Could they have been told apart that early? I think they're about six weeks old here: Just wondered if I should have known earlier.
Like someone already said, theres definately a learning curve. But yeah, you can learn to start telling pretty early. I kinda knew one of mine was a roo at 4 weeks. And then several helpful people here confirmed it. Sure enough, he was crowing at 9 weeks! I think EEs are the easiest to sex for me now. Its fun! And as you can probably tell now, pullets have a more even pattern to their feathers. :) Pretty flock you have there!!

LoL I have 14 in the coup. I guess 4 roosters. I am just in denial with the grey one, so quite and calm. I have heard some attempts but none from that one. All my EE are roos, my kids wanted colored eggs! Might have to get some more and try again. Wish i could find someone local to pick up so juvenile pullets!
have you tried some farm stores to see if they're holding swaps? You can also find swaps and birds to buy on local Facebook groups. That's how we got most of ours, from friends of friends that were selling at monthly swaps :)

Back
Top Bottom