Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Solid colors are harder to tell but the comb is looking rather masculine on the blue one. Add in those hefty legs and I suspect you have all boys.[/quote]

Man, that sucks. Looks to me like they are all roosters.
[/quote]

Thank you all. I was hoping the ameraucana was a hen with masculine features. Can a hen have 3 rows on her comb? Oh well, the breeder did say that she would take back any that are roosters. At least my broody hen got to raise some chicks. :)

Adenium-
Looks like a pretty pullet to me. I have one with similar color pattern, & we also thought roo (mostly from her fearless attitude). Now she lays pretty blue eggs. I also observed her back up the rooster when chasing a hawk away. You gotta love the EEs personalities. As for yours, I think the tail is just long. All the other pics of her scream pullet. Hope I'm right.
This is our second 10-week EE. Same issue...I think we're in the clear except that darn tail. I feel like they can't BOTH be boys since we just got 2 from the pullet bin and they both have it, but we all know life isn't fair.

The comb is similar to what I just posted....single-row pea without real redness.

Wow sulo is a gorgeous bird...I would have thought he was a hawk by thos fabuulous feathers....makes me want to get one....do all chicken breeds get along?...so far I only have 2 barred rock hens

P.s. so far I only know how to reply how do I start a new thread?

Wow sulo is a gorgeous bird...I would have thought he was a hawk by thos fabuulous feathers....makes me want to get one....do all chicken breeds get along?...so far I only have 2 barred rock hens

Every chicken is different. So far, I have found my barred rock hens to be not to welcoming of newcomers. They peck at the younger ones and they run away. Also, my brahma isn't nice either. I have found the sweetest and nicest two breeds that I have are EE's (my favorite) and salmon faverolles. Again, it all depends on what breed you get and the personality of each chicken.

Can a hen have 3 rows on her comb?
I have seen a handful of pullets with 3 rows on this thread. Those are rare occurrences. I had a pullet EE with very thick legs, thicker than all her sisters' and as thick as the dominant brother rooster's. When she was young, I was so sure she was a he. I also have a HUGE buff orp that is a size of a buff rooster and it lays the most humongous eggs.

Both my EE PULLETS have a slighty curved tail, and one is Black and white. You'll get eggs from this one
smile.png

Where'd you get her?

Both were from my local feed store in CT. Not sure where they got their chicks, actually.

I've never followed the EE threads as closely in the past because I didn't have my own, but it seems to me that somehow there are a lot more of the black/white varieties this year. Right, or am I imagining things? It's unfortunate because they are known as being a little tougher to sex, and I wanted nice warm colors! I picked two very different-looking chicks (yellow with messier chipmunk markings vs brown with very defined markings) and now as juveniles they're like twins. As long as they grow up to make eggs rather than mounting my delicate little bantams, I'll just be grateful.

Last edited:

are you on the mobile version of the site?
If so, go to the forum/subforum/category where you want to post. Click the square with a curved arrow in it and it will bring up a side menu with the option to start a new thread.

Back
Top Bottom