Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

That green egg is gorgeous! So is the pullet. :) I agree, she must have black copper maran mixed in, plus the blue egg gene which sounds like came from her dad's dad.

Here are the parents of our chicken mutt.
Dad= Brownie: Hatched from a pink egg given to me by a farm that used to show chickens. The man decided to get out of it & just allowed his show chickens to free range for egg sales. He had many Amerucanas, so I've always said Brownie's an EE (without cheeks). He was my daughter's fav & even allowed her to play dress up. It took us about a year to find him a good home. We still miss him, but decided to keep one of his female offspring. My daughter chose Omelet.

Mom=Precious: She's a true backyard mix. We have no idea how many breeds are in her, but her exceptional personality is one of a kind. She will stand on top of our feet until she's picked up. She constantly "talks" and is at the bottom of the pecking order.

Because both parents are so incredible, we have high hope for our "ugly chicken." Omelet looks nothing like either parent. The olive egg really took us by surprise.

Our ugly mutt chicken just laid her 1st egg. It too is ugly! LOL I'm so excited I just had to share.

This pullet hatched from an egg that was stored in the fridge waiting to be cooked for breakfast. While loading up the incubator, my daughter asked to add this particular egg from her fav hen. Surprisingly it hatched after being in the fridge for over 3 days. We named the chick Omelet, & it soon became a favorite. Omelet's dad is an EE that hatched from a pink egg & her mom is a barnyard mix who lays simple brown eggs. Omelet looks nothing like either parent. At times she barely looked like a chicken. (Had no tail for a very long time, odd comb, & no cheeks.) Now she's making olive green eggs. Where did that color come from??? I expected pinkish or brown. The mom must have quite an unusual mix. I included a pic of the green egg next to our pink, brown & blue eggs.

WOW! I didn't know that they could look that dark of a green! I love it! It's so pretty!!!!
love.gif

Our ugly mutt chicken just laid her 1st egg. It too is ugly! LOL I'm so excited I just had to share.

This pullet hatched from an egg that was stored in the fridge waiting to be cooked for breakfast. While loading up the incubator, my daughter asked to add this particular egg from her fav hen. Surprisingly it hatched after being in the fridge for over 3 days. We named the chick Omelet, & it soon became a favorite. Omelet's dad is an EE that hatched from a pink egg & her mom is a barnyard mix who lays simple brown eggs. Omelet looks nothing like either parent. At times she barely looked like a chicken. (Had no tail for a very long time, odd comb, & no cheeks.) Now she's making olive green eggs. Where did that color come from??? I expected pinkish or brown. The mom must have quite an unusual mix. I included a pic of the green egg next to our pink, brown & blue eggs.

Fantastic egg! More importantly, IMO, your Daughter will remember this as one of her great accomplishments. I mean, really, what egg is going to top that one. =)

So, I have an update on my two EE's. Still not positive on their genders. However, I've just recently caught Cinder starting to squat just a little bit and her comb has really gotten red lately. Here is Cinder:

However, still no signs one way or the other for Ember:

"She" is relatively quiet and gentle. And is always with Cinder! They should be about the same age, so I just don't know what to think with Ember.

Any ideas?

So, I have an update on my two EE's. Still not positive on their genders. However, I've just recently caught Cinder starting to squat just a little bit and her comb has really gotten red lately. Here is Cinder:

However, still no signs one way or the other for Ember:

"She" is relatively quiet and gentle. And is always with Cinder! They should be about the same age, so I just don't know what to think with Ember.

Any ideas?

I don't know how old they are, but looks like you'll have eggs from these two! IF your first one (Cinder) is squatting, that's a good sign. Gorgeous! Love Ember's wind blown look!

Back
Top Bottom