Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

Sorry to harp on this again, but I think I found out part of the mix in Elsa is.
I think she has light sussex in her because her legs are white not yellow and she has the light sussex coloring (sort of). What do you think? She's 8 weeks and a day old now.

Do you think she has some Sussex in her? And maybe some Ameraucana?

She also looks like a Sussex chick.
images

And this is her as a baby.

(sort of again) Lol
SO do you think she's a Sussex/Ameraucana mix?

Sorry to harp on this again, but[COLOR=333333] I think I found out part of the mix in Elsa is.[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]I think she has light sussex in her because her legs are white not yellow and she has the light sussex coloring (sort of). What do you think? She's 8 weeks and a day old now.[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]Do you think she has some Sussex in her? And maybe some Ameraucana?[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]She also looks like a Sussex chick.[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]
images
[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]And this is her as a baby.[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333](sort of again) Lol[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]SO do you think she's a Sussex/Ameraucana mix?[/COLOR]
If I'm recalling the same chick, it was possibly Delaware or light brahma and also possibly an EE or mix. Looking at her, yes, she could absolutely be light Sussex or a mix of EE light Sussex. Those can be tricky to sex, as the roosters and hens have very similar appearance in coloring and they tend to mature slower, so you just may not know until it crows or lays an egg. I hope it is female for you :fl

Here are my two babies. The darker one is EE/EE and the buff colored one is Buff Orpington/EE. They are 4.5 weeks old and being raised by a Buff Orpington (not her eggs). As far as I can tell so far they are both pullets.

HanwellChickens, the EE/EE looks like a pullet but not sure about the buff orp/EE. I would wait a little longer on that one to be sure. Seems like at 4½ weeks they can change so quickly, and you suddenly have a cockerel who once was a pullet!

HanwellChickens, the EE/EE looks like a pullet but not sure about the buff orp/EE.  I would wait a little longer on that one to be sure.  Seems like at 4½ weeks they can change so quickly, and you suddenly have a cockerel who once was a pullet!

They can change sex? Holy feather flipping I never knew!!
Lol
I'd be keeping an eye on that Orp chick as well. Looking a bit Cocky!!

They can change sex? Holy feather flipping I never knew!!
Lol
I'd be keeping an eye on that Orp chick as well. Looking a bit Cocky!!

HanwellChickens, the EE/EE looks like a pullet but not sure about the buff orp/EE. I would wait a little longer on that one to be sure. Seems like at 4½ weeks they can change so quickly, and you suddenly have a cockerel who once was a pullet!
Thanks for the input. I do try to pick "her" up to see her comb development, but I can't usually do it until they go to bed at night and by then it's quite difficult to get a real good look. I hope it's a pullet. It feathered in very even like the EE/EE so I can only hope.

Here are my two babies. The darker one is EE/EE and the buff colored one is Buff Orpington/EE. They are 4.5 weeks old and being raised by a Buff Orpington (not her eggs). As far as I can tell so far they are both pullets.

Darker one looks like a pullet right now and also the other one does too. Let's not get are hopes up just yet. They tend to surprise you sometimes.

10 weeks old :) This looks like a pullet to me with that pale comb. If there was a good side view I'd be more confident.

Red comb and dark red wings = cockerel.

Sorry, no clue.
idunno.gif
Is it an EE? Can't see the comb clearly (pic won't enlarge). I have one Silkie and only know it's a hen because she lays eggs. Hopefully someone can help you sex it. (Or I could flip a coin for you.
big_smile.png
)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom